Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-20-2010, 05:27 PM   #1

Share |

air conditioning

all my windows crank open so I'm having problems finding a solution of sealing the exhaust of my air conditioning unit. I live in Moncton NB so I need this for about 8 weeks tops. I also would like my wife to leave me alone about this until after the US open is over but it doesn't look like that has any chance of happening. Thanks for the advice

Last edited by tiguy10; 06-20-2010 at 05:29 PM. Reason: spell check
tiguy10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 06:40 PM   #2
Wire Chewer

air conditioning

I'm guessing you are talking about a portable unit?

I attached my setup, might give you an idea.

I need to add another latch on the top as the wood is warped and bends inwards, leaving air in from the top. I should probably add foam insulation too. We did not get a very hot day yet so it's hard to tell how well this works. We had average hot days and it worked out ok. Just can't forget to open the window before turning the unit on!

I kinda regret not buying a inwall unit though, as portable AC units are really inefficient, they use indoor air to cool the condenser, then shoot that air outside, that same air was cooled by the unit itself at one point. This is not taking into account that hot outside air needs to come in somehow to replace the air that has just been thrown outside.
Attached Thumbnails
air conditioning-ac.jpg  

Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 06:45 PM   #3

air conditioning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Squirrel View Post
I'm guessing you are talking about a portable unit?

I kinda regret not buying a inwall unit though, as portable AC units are really inefficient, they use indoor air to cool the condenser, then shoot that air outside, that same air was cooled by the unit itself at one point. This is not taking into account that hot outside air needs to come in somehow to replace the air that has just been thrown outside.
My window (not portable) AC's do not exhaust indoor air to the outside
The fan outside cools the coils, maybe older units are different ?
There is a very small opening that I can open to allow air exchange

Last edited by Scuba_Dave; 06-21-2010 at 11:48 AM. Reason: window AC
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 07:31 PM   #4

air conditioning

That is a good idea. I have the same dilemma with the Andersen crank windows. It looks like the wood comes in and out easy enough so you don't have to leav it like that on cooler days. I would bet you could do that with plexiglass but it is very expensive. As far as window units go, I've never seen one that goes in the Andersen windows, only the sliding casement windows. Those are also more money than a standard window unit.
Jim F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 08:28 PM   #5
Wire Chewer

air conditioning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba_Dave View Post
My portable AC's do not exhaust indoor air to the outside
The fan outside cools the coils, maybe older units are different ?
There is a very small opening that I can open to allow air exchange

Is it a dual hose unit? Probably one for intake one for exhaust. This is a brand new unit that I have but it's a single hose. I kinda wish I would of at least went with dual hose, but it never really occurred to me until I got it, then started analyzing more how it works. It only makes sense, it has to take the air from somewhere. It still works decently well to cool my office though.

This is my unit:
Attached Thumbnails
air conditioning-ac2.jpg  
Old 06-20-2010, 08:33 PM   #6
Wire Chewer

air conditioning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim F View Post
That is a good idea. I have the same dilemma with the Andersen crank windows. It looks like the wood comes in and out easy enough so you don't have to leav it like that on cooler days. I would bet you could do that with plexiglass but it is very expensive. As far as window units go, I've never seen one that goes in the Andersen windows, only the sliding casement windows. Those are also more money than a standard window unit.
Yep I made sure to make it easy. My bedroom window is the same size, so I can easily wheel the unit over and transfer the board in that window. I just need to buy the proper latches to fit the other window. The board goes up where the screen would normally go, so it's just like putting the screen up. I've seen people use pillows and stuff and rig something on the spot, but then it's lot of work to remove it. I keep the window closed all the time and only open it when I turn the unit on.
Old 06-20-2010, 08:33 PM   #7

air conditioning

DOH !@! Portable AC...I was thinking window AC
Since he was talking abut a window AC - I think ? I was thinking window AC

I've used wood to box in around a window for an AC
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 07:03 AM   #8
Household Handyman

air conditioning

I'm not familiar with A/C units which fit windows that crank open, so I can't help you there. I'm more familiar with how to get the wifey to leave me alone for a week, or more, at the time. While standing behind her, ask her "Exactly how much weight have you gained lately"? This usually gets me at least a week of silence and me preparing my own sandwiches for dinner. David
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 11:24 AM   #9
Coconut Pete's paella!

air conditioning

I used one like the one Red Squirrel has for about 3 years with no problems. You have to get a little creative with the mounting of the hose if your window swings out, but nothing that a piece of particle board and some screws can't fix....

CoconutPete is offline   Reply With Quote