Air Compressor - Dangerous???? - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-13-2007, 09:06 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

air compressor - dangerous????

i have an air compressor question. i have had my air compressor for a little over two years. i dont use the compressor a whole lot, mainly to blow up car tires. on the compressor it has a label that says after each use, you need to release the water from the bleeder valve. heres where i am very worried. since i dont use it that often i have neglected to do this. the times i have released the pressure/water, the bleeder valve is pretty rusted. i haven't bled the valve in awhile.

the sticker says if you do not do this an explosion may occur causing an injury or maybe worse.

every time i use the compressor i think about that but since it has been awhile since i released the water, i dont want it exploding in my face. im afraid to move the plug. what should i do?

little worried, please help!!

thank you

Advertisement

reds_21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 09:13 PM   #2
Eibwen

Rewards Points: 500

The bleeder valve should be brass and shouldnt rust.

As long as there are no obvious signs of major rust on the tank you should be fine.

Drain it and leave the valve open til the next time you use it. That will remind you to open it after the next use.

Advertisement

Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 09:16 PM   #3
Remodeler

Rewards Points: 250

Drain it. If it hasn't been drained in awhile it needs it. A 2 yr old unit should be in fine shape. Be sure all the air pressure is out of the tank before turning the valve. The reason you need to drain it is that water collects in the tank and rusts it out. But unless it i a really cheap piece of crap it should be fine after 2 years. You don't need to drain after each use. That's kind of overkill.
I've had compressors for years and didn't drain them. It depends on how much moisture is in the air where you live and where the machine is.
One Man Shops
MinConst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 09:18 PM   #4

thanks sammy

now i understand that part of it but what is the best choice to open the valve now?? it could very well be a brass valve, maybe it wasnt rust but more like corrosion due to the water. how can i find out if there is rust inside the tank???????

would i be better off buying a new plug? and starting over on a fresh slate?

my air comressor is a craftsman 30 gallon, 150psi compressor. i cant exactly see inside of it.
Old 09-13-2007, 09:21 PM   #5

minconst

well if you consider craftsman crap,,,thats what it is.

i live in ohio, so the moisture is greater in the summertime, and whatever the winter adds probably doesn't help either. the compressor is stored in the garage.

what is the best way to see if theres any interior rust??????
Old 09-13-2007, 09:29 PM   #6
Tired, Cold, and Damp

Rewards Points: 2,000

You'll know
When you let the air out (by the bottom valve) it will also let out water, which will be rusty

The (actual) bleeder valve may be brass and not rust, but the rest of the piece (the parts outside/other than the actual valve, but still part of that piece/unit called "the valve") can rust and/or can clog with rust

Replacing the valve (unit) is simple and the part should be in any Sears/K-Mart compressor section
slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 10:17 PM   #7
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rewards Points: 2,000

It takes alot of compressor use and alot of non-bleeding of the tank's air/moister - over time to corrode a tank to the point of degredation and this result:

http://www.doli.state.mn.us/airtank2.html
Old 09-13-2007, 10:22 PM   #8

It would not explode when you drained it... IF it were to go it would be when you turned it on next. (when it reached a high enough pressure to burst at a weak point)

Last edited by robertcdf; 09-13-2007 at 10:36 PM.
robertcdf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 08:39 PM   #9

Steel rusts-Compressor tanks are made of steel-Moisture increases the pace at which steel rusts-Air compressors create moisture-ALL COMPRESSORS WHICH HAVE BEEN USED ARE RUSTED ON THE INSIDE.

Point being; Try to drain your tank at least once a week and don't be to worried. Usually your tank will leak before it blows. My policy is replace the compressor every 7 years, even if it is still running. I have twelve compressor that rotate in and out of use and I have never had one blow.
jiggyjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 11:09 AM   #10
Eibwen

I agree that they all will have rust in em..

But a total tank failure versus just spring a leak on a weld would be extremely rare. [cool pic AC!]

Drain the tank on a regular interval and it should be fine.

We have a small 1.5 gallon or so compressor at the shop that runs an air drive key machine. Runs all day long and gets drained weekly. Some rusty water comes out every week. Been in use close to 20 years and hasnt failed yet.
Old 09-18-2007, 03:37 PM   #11

thanks everyone. so it isn't the draining of the plug that will cause the compressor to explode but rather the non-draining. right???

so as long as i drain from here on out i should be ok??

does the tank need to be empty (no air) before draining?
Old 09-19-2007, 07:20 PM   #12
Eibwen

Failure could be caused by the rusting at a critical point, a weld failure, or even a crack in a steel area that wasnt even welded.

I drain mine with a little air pressure on it and since mine is only a 13 galllon, I shake it around a little to drain the water and leave the valve open til the next use.

If yours is only a few years old, just drain it on a regular basis and it should be fine for many years to come.
Old 09-19-2007, 09:33 PM   #13
Remodeler

Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by reds_21 View Post
thanks everyone. so it isn't the draining of the plug that will cause the compressor to explode but rather the non-draining. right???

so as long as i drain from here on out i should be ok??

does the tank need to be empty (no air) before draining?
YES / Yes / Yes
One Man Shops
MinConst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 01:50 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 256

Open the drain valve, drain the water w/air pressure to move the moisture out of the tank. The drain valve is to be at the bottom of the tank. You do not say if the valve is accessable or not, but you can use 1/4 inch brass fittings and move the valve to a more accessble location if you choose.
fireguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 03:25 PM   #15

thank you everyone for putting your words of advice/instruction in.

i went ahead and opened/removed the valve last night and all is god. the valve is bluish/green due to corrosion but when the water started to drain out, i couldn't tell if it was muddy water or rust water but a good amount did come out!!!!! i left the drain plug out so all of the water would drain and the tank would hopefully dry. im going to replace the drain valve with a new one in hopes of it opening/closing with ease. in order to open/remove this valve i had to use a pair of channel locks. it was really tight to remove!!

so once i get the valve, it will be back in working order and drained weekly!!!

thanks again

Advertisement