Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-04-2012, 09:04 AM   #1

Share |

Air Compressor CFM

I had a compressor with a 30 gallon tank that produced 12 CFM
Now I have a compressor with a 60 gallon tank that produced 12 CFM.

What do I have?
Did I gain anything?
If so what?

Hardway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 09:09 AM   #2

Air Compressor CFM

You gained more air storage. This means the compressor will not have to cycle on as often and will provide a more even pressure. Probably not a protable unit.

packer_rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 09:16 AM   #3

Air Compressor CFM

Quote:
Originally Posted by packer_rich View Post
You gained more air storage. This means the compressor will not have to cycle on as often and will provide a more even pressure. Probably not a protable unit.
No hard wired. I was very pleased with my old compressor. Tank rusted thru, went to 60 gallon tank to get 12 CFM. I stripped old tank and stored all components in case new compressor craps out. Tried to buy just new tank cost prohibited.

Thanks for your response, what i thought.

Old 03-04-2012, 09:42 AM   #4
JOATMON

Air Compressor CFM

Quote:
Originally Posted by packer_rich View Post

Ditto.....

Just be aware that it will take longer to get to pressure....like twice as long....but not an issue because you have more air.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 09:57 AM   #5

Air Compressor CFM

the old compressor lasted 25 years, the water heater lasted 20 years. both started leaking in the same week. replaced both with in a few days. see how long the new ones last.
Old 03-05-2012, 12:47 AM   #6
Household Handyman

Air Compressor CFM

"You gained more compressed air storage" is correct, somewhat like stating that you changed your car battery from a 300 cranking amp battery to a 600 cranking amp battery. One important thing here is the "12 CFM" statement. The CFM (cubic foot/feet per minute) at "x" delivered air pressure is important. Let's say the old unit may have been 12 CFM @ 80 PSI delivered air pressure and the new one may be 12 CFM @ 90 PSI delivered air pressure. That would be a noticeable increase in air delivery and to your advantage. I've worked on units that delivered 1460 CFM @ 90 PSI, these were some really big units though.
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 01:27 AM   #7
" Euro " electrician

Air Compressor CFM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thurman View Post
"You gained more compressed air storage" is correct, somewhat like stating that you changed your car battery from a 300 cranking amp battery to a 600 cranking amp battery. One important thing here is the "12 CFM" statement. The CFM (cubic foot/feet per minute) at "x" delivered air pressure is important. Let's say the old unit may have been 12 CFM @ 80 PSI delivered air pressure and the new one may be 12 CFM @ 90 PSI delivered air pressure. That would be a noticeable increase in air delivery and to your advantage. I've worked on units that delivered 1460 CFM @ 90 PSI, these were some really big units though.
I have one monstor compressour unit which it can crank much as 2500 CFM @ 175 PSIG that thing is noisey as heck sorta like souped up diesel engine and this compressour have dual drive set up it can run either electrique mode or diesel engine driven few case we can actually run both at the same time and hit either one off without shutting down the compressour at all.

If done right the compressour motour will become generator when the diesel unit overdrive it. ( it do happend pretty often when I run it ) this is the time when I do it when the electrique rates are highest or POCO will ask us to take some of the load off from the system.

For the personal compressour I have in my shop back in Wisconsin I have 120 gallon tank with 15 HP compressour ( triphase motour direct drive no belts in there ) it will fill up the tank up from 0 to 175 PSIG in a minuite or less ( cold start is little quicker than hot soak )

Merci,
Marc