Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-31-2006, 05:29 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |
Question

Advice please

I am hoping someone can help me - I have a bathroom sink which is unglazed at the back, which we were planning on fitting flush to the wall so it could be sealed.

Thing is I've now bought a deeper unit, so I want to fit the sink towards the front leaving a gap between the back of the sink and the wall.

My boyf. has told me that because the sink is unglazed at the back this might not be such a good idea and I should set it against the wall so it can be sealed.

I'de be grateful for any advice before i get my jigsaw out

Amanda

Amanda_01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 06:02 AM   #2
rdp

Advice please

Amanda -

You may need to provide more info regarding the type of bathroom sink you are planning to use before getting sound advice on sealing (glazing). In your case, is the sink part of a cabinet (vanity)? Is the sink free standing or is it installed within a counter-top? Is there a backsplash formed into the sink or counter-top?

Some sinks, such as pedestal sinks, usually include a formed backsplash which rises behind the faucet assy ... and those sinks are not sealed tight to the wall. They stand on a pedestal and "hang" from the wall but there is a slight gap between the sink unit and the bathroom wallboard.

Hope that helps.

powrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 07:52 AM   #3

Advice please

The sink is a square one which I originally bought to sit on top of a unit that was the same size... So it was supposed to be flush all the way round. It's a 'sit on top' style of sink but you still have to cut out for the waste etc - I hope that helps - It looks a bit like this but it isn't glazed at the back[IMG]http://www.mfi.co.uk/mfi/FinalProduct.asp?CT=/4020/YourBathroom&CT=/YourBathroom/ToiletsBidetBasin&CT=/YourBathroom/ToiletsBasinsBidet/Basins&CT=/YourBathroom/ToiletsBasinsBidets/Basins/OtherBasins&CT=*&SKU=CME6641[/IMG]
Old 10-31-2006, 07:53 AM   #4

Advice please

I shouldn't be allowed near computers...
Old 10-31-2006, 12:59 PM   #5
rdp

Advice please

That's a nice looking sink. Now I [think] I understand your dilemma. My guess is that it probably comes down to personal choice how you install the sink. Certainly you're not going to leave an open area behind your sink that allows water intrusion - plus you will complete the work which results in an attractive finished job.
powrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 09:44 PM   #6
I blame ProWallGuy

Advice please

Amanda, insert a space between 'back' and '[IMG] and your link should work.
If all else fails, read the instructions. There should be some instructions from the manufacturer included. What do they say about the 'back of the sink'?
Double A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 08:04 AM   #7
renovations

Advice please

You may want to build out the wall, perhaps with backer board and tile to fill the space. How much of a gap is it?

Bonus is offline   Reply With Quote