Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-22-2009, 05:59 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 150
Question

Advice On Organizing a Workshop

We just finished constructing an 8'X10' workshop from a kit. It's on 24" centers and the studs were 2X3s. I plan on insulating the ceiling but not doing much more to the walls. I want to build a workbench, perhaps attaching a 2X4 cleat to the studs, creating legs and putting some sort of top on it and a shelf below for some storage. Right now all I have in there is a miter saw on a rolling work table but not sure how/where to start on organization for hand and power tools, attachments, fasteners like nails/screws/etc. Is peg board a good option, or will it eventually give way. What about attaching some plywood or MDF to the wall[s] and using hooks and/or shelves? I'd appreciate any suggestions and advice.

shapeshifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 07:40 PM   #2
Tool Geek

Rewards Points: 2,048

Shape, Congrats on the new shop. You are probably in the minority in having a dedicated space as most us in the DIY world use a corner of the basement or garage. You are also lucky living in S Texas where you can work year round without heat.

I would start out with a standalone bench rather than building one against the wall, same for not building in storage or pegboards, until you have used it for while and know better how things will work for you.

Provide enough open floor space for work in progress. Make room for a stool or chair or stool so you can sit in front of the bench and change a lamp plug. How are you fixed for lighting and receptacles? How about a charging station for batteries?

I have a couple of portable pedestal stands one for a vise and the other for a grinder that can be pushed against the wall of my garage or moved outside.

more info:
http://woodworking.about.com/od/shop...And_Layout.htm
Attached Thumbnails
Advice On Organizing a Workshop-pedestal-stand.jpg  

Last edited by PaliBob; 11-23-2009 at 04:12 PM. Reason: Added Link
PaliBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 09:04 PM   #3

Pali thank you for the insight. Actually, I got my workshop kind of by default, now my hubby knows I won't be moving into a corner of HIS garage LOL. He will be adding electrical for lighting and receptacles this week. I believe I may construct a work bench and add casters like the one on my miter saw table. On that, we used 4" multi-directional casters with a locking feature. As far as making room for all my stuff, I guess I'll move an old shelving unit in temporarily. One other thought, I have tons of different sized nails, bolts and screws left over from various projects. What do you recommend for a sorting/storage system.
Old 11-23-2009, 12:37 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 254

I like the cardboard parts boxes available at NAPA, about $1.00 each. Grainger, Northern Tool, lots of places have plastic parts boxes in color.
fireguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 12:26 PM   #5

Small carboard boxes look like a real good option. I could label each box with the type and size fastener, or even make computer labels with a picture of the item. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 11-23-2009, 09:48 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,000

I don't worry so much about sorting or catagorizing odds and ends. I like shallow metal pans for misc. bolts, nuts, etc. You can readily sift through and find what you need.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 07:52 AM   #7
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Rewards Points: 2,012

One pound coffee cans, duct tape and permanent markers make the most indestructable parts bins I've ever used. If you set your workbench on caster, make provisions to bolt it fast to the wall when you need to. Beats having it wander around the shop while you are trying to work. Shelf tracks like KV-80 http://www.knapeandvogt.com/Regular-...roducts.18.220 with a variety of brackets let you move shelving to accomodate different size materials.
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 11:07 AM   #8
Tool Geek

Rewards Points: 2,048

Avoid buying any of those bench top plastic drawer units for misc stuff.
They look nice, but NG for dissimilar hardware.

The solution I like plastic compartment boxes where everything is visible
http://www.casesandmore.com/Flambeau...0-FLB1054.html

Remember, it is not worth saving if you donít know where to find it. Most folks save too much stuff. (including me)

PaliBob is offline   Reply With Quote