Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-15-2011, 04:21 PM   #1

Share |

advice on hiring someone

Hi everyone - not sure if this message is ok here - go ahead & delet if not?

I'm in Europe & have advertised on internet for short-term/casual help with some renovation work.
Got an email today from a guy travelling through - he's from the States (walla walla). He's 24 and says he's got '6 years experience as foreman, carpenter, leading crew, framing, finish work, concrete, masonry, drainage, landscaping, roofing, drywall, painting, operating heavy machinery'.

My question: is it possible to have been a foreman at 24??

I'm going to ask for references but wanted to check with some pros if possible first.

Thanks in advance

tizadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 04:24 PM   #2

advice on hiring someone

My guess is no but he probaly knows a little of every trade. Let us know how it goes if u hire him.

Simon66621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 05:31 PM   #3
Mod

advice on hiring someone

Quote:
Originally Posted by tizadu View Post
Hi everyone - not sure if this message is ok here - go ahead & delet if not?

I'm in Europe & have advertised on internet for short-term/casual help with some renovation work.
Got an email today from a guy travelling through - he's from the States (walla walla). He's 24 and says he's got '6 years experience as foreman, carpenter, leading crew, framing, finish work, concrete, masonry, drainage, landscaping, roofing, drywall, painting, operating heavy machinery'.

My question: is it possible to have been a foreman at 24??

I'm going to ask for references but wanted to check with some pros if possible first.

Thanks in advance
Well according to your post that would have made him a lead man at 18. I doubt it, most of the trades you mention you can’t even be hired for until your 18.
Old 06-15-2011, 06:00 PM   #4
Custom Home Builder

advice on hiring someone

Check out his creds.
He may have been the queen too.
thomasjmarino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 05:54 AM   #5
Too Short? Cut it Again!

advice on hiring someone

Just make sure you have it within you to fire the guy should you give him a shot. He sounds like the type that would heap on the BS if you decided to rid yourself of him.

You may get some good skills you need out of this guy. Just make sure you have a contract between you both stating your expectations. Hire him on in some capacity other than employee.

I do not know many senior level tradesman that would have much respect for a 24 year old, traveling Europe, and claiming to have 6 years experience as a foreman on complex projects. Maybe the guy was a volunteer for Habitat for Humanity or something though.

Instictively, this makes me twitch a bit but talk to the guy. If he leaves a slime trail as he slithers in an out, find someone else.

Just curious. Is he traveling with tools? You were planning to buy him all he needs. Be careful!!!!
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 10:23 AM   #6

advice on hiring someone

Did he specifically say 6 years as a foreman, or did he say 6 years experience including being a foreman as well as doing the other stuff listed?

He could have been a foreman on, say, a 3 month project.
cgoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 10:29 AM   #7

advice on hiring someone

I want to go to europe what do you need, i do have experience. I would need to bring my wire, she is supervisor, you would like her
Old 06-16-2011, 11:19 AM   #8
Too Short? Cut it Again!

advice on hiring someone

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpolk View Post
I would need to bring my wire, she is supervisor, you would like her
The OP needs help with building renovation, not a CIA operative!

Your post raised an issue and a possibility. Why not bring someone over from the States for a couple of months to help out if you don't like or cannot communicate with the local labor pool or skill levels? Unless you are really clandestine the person will need a work visa I suspect. And as for tools? Power tools for US are probably not going to work well or for long even with industrial strength voltage converters.

My concern? News of anything travels fast in European villages and towns so plan on everybody knowing you are using US labor on your project. This may cause you problems and delays you do not need? Why don't you want to use local labor?

It would concern me not to be able to go look at work done if this is to be a quality renovation/restoration.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 03:50 PM   #9

advice on hiring someone

thanks everyone for the useful advice

cgoll - he specifically said in his email 6 years experience as foreman, but in some other info he said 6 years as foreman & other stuff

the crazy thing is I didn't even mention I required high-level experience, just some basic skills for this year, because this is phase one of the renovation & I have to see if the place is viable as a summer holiday cottage before I invest major funds.

so this year is just a trial run, me doing some stuff & advertised for some help with knocking back some plaster, refilling, painting, and mainly carpentry

I posted this because something seems dodgy, you know. I've asked him for a reference but no reply yet.

BTW - it's from a working holiday exchange site - you provide accommodation & meals in return for 5hours work, but the people aren't vetted - anyone can join
which is why I have to be careful as the place is quite isolated

anyway, thanks again!
Old 06-16-2011, 03:56 PM   #10
Mod

advice on hiring someone

Quote:
Originally Posted by tizadu View Post
thanks everyone for the useful advice

cgoll - he specifically said in his email 6 years experience as foreman, but in some other info he said 6 years as foreman & other stuff

the crazy thing is I didn't even mention I required high-level experience, just some basic skills for this year, because this is phase one of the renovation & I have to see if the place is viable as a summer holiday cottage before I invest major funds.

so this year is just a trial run, me doing some stuff & advertised for some help with knocking back some plaster, refilling, painting, and mainly carpentry

I posted this because something seems dodgy, you know. I've asked him for a reference but no reply yet.

BTW - it's from a working holiday exchange site - you provide accommodation & meals in return for 5hours work, but the people aren't vetted - anyone can join
which is why I have to be careful as the place is quite isolated

anyway, thanks again!
Shopping online for foreigners to work on your home. Sounds like your just setting yourself up to get screwed.

Why arenít you talking to local contractors?
Old 06-16-2011, 04:09 PM   #11

advice on hiring someone

If it's Italy, shoot me an email. I loved Italy.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 05:59 PM   #12

advice on hiring someone

thanks a million ron, it's actually Greece!

kwikfishron - I will have to hire some local contractors, especially for the carpentry, but as I said budget very tight so am trying to do what I can to keep costs down until I know its viable as a holiday let

also i know I'm going to get ripped off until I make some good contacts because I don't know anything about skilled trades or construction...
Old 06-17-2011, 08:39 AM   #13

advice on hiring someone

I'll do 6 hrs a day if it's on Santorini, Mykonos or the like!

And if he sticks to his claim of 6 years as a foreman, run the other way. Fast.
cgoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 11:09 AM   #14

advice on hiring someone

Haha!! It's not on one of those islands - its Peloponnese - near the coast but not that sparkling crystal sea & nightlife. Sorreee!

not sure if i'm i allowed to post a link to my advert so you can see pics? rules said can post own website but not sell to contractors/homeowners -
so here it is
http://www.holiday-home-rentals.co.uk/rentals/6120.html
(management - please delete if needed!)

i spent A LOT of time making look a lot nicer than it really is, for instance behind the curtain the wooden window has fallen apart, front door going the same way etc! But i got a holiday let for August 5th!

BTW i asked him for a reference and no response!!
So yeah, think he's a no go

thanks for all advice
Old 06-17-2011, 01:53 PM   #15

advice on hiring someone

<Got an email today from a guy travelling through - he's from the States (walla walla). He's 24 and says he's got '6 years experience as foreman, carpenter, leading crew, framing, finish work, concrete, masonry, drainage, landscaping, roofing, drywall, painting, operating heavy machinery'.>

All this experience at 24 and just happened to be travelling though......
Have you checked the local Post Offices for Wanted mugshots?

Tizzer is offline   Reply With Quote