Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-29-2010, 08:08 AM   #1
Household Handyman

Share |

Advice on garbage disposer

Got a call yesterday (Sat.) from a friend who's girl-friend had a stopped up sink. PLEASE help me type thing. I go to see what is going on-with the sink. It seems that only one side is stopped up, it's a double sink, the side with the disposer of course. First thing I notice is that it is on the right hand side and the drain enters the wall on the left hand side. Secondly, there are no strainers in the sink drains to catch anything. I remove the rubber thingy on the disposer side and of course there is a pile of "stuff" in there. Running water in there and stirring it up loosens this, WHEW!, and Thank You. I grind up about five pounds of ice from the freeze and explain why I do that to her. Don't talk to my dummy friend about it. Then I explain something I read in a magazine recently: Most people are right-handed, most people will dump things into a double sink on the RIGHT-HAND side some 90+% of the time and NOT run the disposer. So, stuff builds up, and sometimes hardens in there. I also like those cheap strainers you can put over the drains to catch all that little stuff you don't even think about when dumping something in the sink. After educating her on the disposer and sink stuff, telling her how smart I am and how dumb he is, I try to convince her that she is with the wrong one. It didn't work, something about my wife came into play. David

Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 10:23 AM   #2

Should have put a little of that ice in your britches there hot pants...

FLORIDADIYDAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 11:51 AM   #3

May be best to yank th whole disposal, and put a strainer in sink for stuff. Youre not supposed to dump anything down a sink, period. Some area of the country even have banned them.
noquacks is offline   Reply With Quote