Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-14-2008, 02:26 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

advice?

What I have is a carport attatched to the back of my house. The concrete slab it sits on is the full width of the house, (a nice drive way to the entrance of the carport). What I want to do is convert it to a bedroom.
my question is can I build a wall right on the slab or do I need to curb the slab and build the wall from curb? I'm not anything close to a carpenter, I can build a wall and handle the power, but I need help with is foundation. Any advice is appreciated Thanks,
vince

Last edited by carpetagge; 04-14-2008 at 02:33 AM.
carpetagge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 10:36 AM   #2
Home Remodeler

Rewards Points: 154

advice?

Your walls require a footing under the slab. The code will establish how deep and how wide. The weight of the walls will cause the slab to fail.

mikey48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 04:19 PM   #3
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Rewards Points: 2,012

advice?

If driving and parking a car on it hasn't made it fail, I doubt the weight of a 2x4 wall will break it.
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 08:36 PM   #4
Home Remodeler

Rewards Points: 154

advice?

Code requires a footing.
mikey48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 10:27 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

advice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintenance 6 View Post
If driving and parking a car on it hasn't made it fail, I doubt the weight of a 2x4 wall will break it.

That's a very good, insightful answer!
Cajun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 07:34 AM   #6
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Rewards Points: 2,012

advice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joba Fett View Post
With idiodic responses such as this, no wonder these so called DIYer's get people hurt.
And just what made that an "idiotic" response? Think! First, the roof is already supported by some kind of structure, so the only load being imposed on the slab is the wall to close it off, which weighs a hell of a lot less than a car. Second, the wall load is dipersed across the length of the slab and is static, rather than the concentrated, dynamic load that the car tires impose. Much depends on where the OP is located. If he has to worry about frost conditions, and the slab is floating, that is an issue.

So far no-one has given the OP a good answer to his question. To the original question: First dig down along side of the fslab to see if there is a footer and foundation wall under it. If so, you can build on top, if not you may need to place those items and size them according to your local requirements for soil conditions, etc. Whether you need a building permit for this work depends on your local community. There are a few questions you'd need to answer before anyone here could give you further direction. Do you intend to step down into this room? Or build the floor to match the existing house? Does the roof of the house extend over the carport area? Or does the carport have it's own roof butted into the end wall of the house? Adding simple exterior walls will add little weight, adding a floor system with joists and beams will add some concentrated loads to specific areas that you will need to address. You first need to do some research.

Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote