Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-25-2013, 06:46 PM   #1

Share |
Question

Additional fan in closet

So, this may be a weird and multi-part question, so I didn't know where to post it exactly. Hopefully you can bear with me.

I live in a 2-story loft condo unit with concrete floors and ceilings. I have a closet and a bathroom on the first floor along the inner (hallway) part of the condo, and the bathroom fan has an existing fan vent that goes up the wall and out the opposite side of the unit. The vent pipe actually meets up with the upstairs bathroom's vent (so air from both vents can exhaust through the same pipe for most of the journey)

I recently got cats, so the litter box lives in the closet now, and often dry my hockey stuff in the same closet so I was thinking about adding a fan into the closet and joining it to the bathroom fan on the other side of the wall. Now, here's where my question gets interesting (as if it wasn't already):
My closet does not L-bend under the stairs; it's walled off, so I'm losing some storage space under that way. Mi initial thought was to drop that wall, move the two metal studs, and reroute the electrical conduit that's waist high up and over the top, install the vent fan, and be done.

Option 2 if it's not worth the extra space for the cost is to just add in a bathroom vent fan in the closet and not touch the closet layout.

Option 3 is to just install a passive vent between the closet and bathroom (just a duct with grates on each side) and allow the closet smells to passively get pulled into the bathroom when the fan is on.

Thoughts on any of these solutions?
Attached Thumbnails
Additional fan in closet-slide1.jpg   Additional fan in closet-slide2.jpg  
Tankeray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 06:51 PM   #2
Plumber

Additional fan in closet

Get rid of the cat and get a dog.
DidIDoThat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 07:31 AM   #3

Additional fan in closet

The bad thing about combining the fans into one exhaust pipe is you will get roughly equal discharge through the other fan(s) as at the intended point of exit. If it is feasable I would run three intakes into one fan and one exhaust. Then use three way switches or a timer to operate the fan.
Old 05-27-2013, 11:17 AM   #4

Additional fan in closet

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoleCat View Post
The bad thing about combining the fans into one exhaust pipe is you will get roughly equal discharge through the other fan(s) as at the intended point of exit. If it is feasable I would run three intakes into one fan and one exhaust. Then use three way switches or a timer to operate the fan.
So would you say it would be better to make a vent opening in the closet, hook it up with the downstairs bathroom pipe, and put the fan in after where the two pipes meet? I would be fine with one closet and one bathroom switch controlling the same fan.

Also, I have two cats, so I'm worried that if I take a vote to expel them, they'll outnumber me.
Old 05-27-2013, 11:34 AM   #5

Additional fan in closet

Why not put the litter box under the stairs?
Attached Thumbnails
Additional fan in closet-slide1.jpg  
hammerlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 01:22 PM   #6

Additional fan in closet

Can't for two reasons right now:
1) There's no access to that area right now (it's walled in completely) and
2) the access point is my bottom stair, stairs go up as you walk to the left.

So my access point would be on the other wall, litter box and storage back under the stairs where you have it.

A little extra storage would be nice, and that way I can put the fan in the back of the closet if I open it up, but may end up costing $1000's just for 20 sq feet of extra storage that isn't even the full height
Attached Thumbnails
Additional fan in closet-plan-hall.jpg  
Old 05-27-2013, 05:20 PM   #7
Exterior Construction

Additional fan in closet

Quote:
Originally Posted by DidIDoThat View Post
Get rid of the cat and get a dog.
If the dog is like most dogs I know, he/she will offer to clean the litter box for free.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 10:45 PM   #8

Additional fan in closet

It sounds as if the two studs supported the drywall you removed... be sure to cover the bottom of the stair framing (if wood) with drywall to be code-compliant for your H.O.Insurance carrier; http://publicecodes.cyberregs.com/ic...?bu2=undefined

Gary
Clean the ducting in the last six months? 17,000 dryer fires annually!
Gary in WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 05:37 AM   #9

Additional fan in closet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tankeray View Post
So would you say it would be better to make a vent opening in the closet, hook it up with the downstairs bathroom pipe, and put the fan in after where the two pipes meet? I would be fine with one closet and one bathroom switch controlling the same fan.

Also, I have two cats, so I'm worried that if I take a vote to expel them, they'll outnumber me.
Cat's do not respect a democracy. We have twelve and the political system observed is anarchy.

Your staircase appears to be on an exterior wall. It will cost nothing to remove the wall blocking the area under the staircase. The bathroom exhaust fan appears to be a wall mounted unit that will be exposed in the area under the stairs. It would be rather easy to pipe two fans seperately out the wall. Or you could use a single fan to service both areas.
Old 05-30-2013, 12:04 PM   #10

Additional fan in closet

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoleCat View Post
The bad thing about combining the fans into one exhaust pipe is you will get roughly equal discharge through the other fan(s) as at the intended point of exit.
This is not a problem with a properly installed fan. There is a check flap in there. Otherwise, wind could also blow into the house from the outside.
operagost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 02:18 PM   #11
Bill Kearney

Additional fan in closet

Ugh, litter boxes in the closet just makes everything else in that closet stink. That and you need to leave the closet door open all the time.

What's laid out on the bathroom wall that faces the empty area under the stairs? Where's the plumbing and fixtures? Might there be a clever way to put a litter box 'room' in there with access from the bath? At least then the stink would be confined to a room that's already designed for that.

Otherwise I'd lean toward some of the more clever ways to disguise a litter box as 'furniture' and put it out elsewhere in the condo.
wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 05:05 PM   #12

Additional fan in closet

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkearney99 View Post
That and you need to leave the closet door open all the time.
Buy a cheap hollow core door for $19 and put a cat door in the bottom. Replace with a new one when you move out. I seen it done in apartments all of the time. As for the smell, that's part of the joy of owning cats (which I don't).
HitLines is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bathroom fan