DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Addition looks like it is on a deck...lack of a better term

26K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  Willie T 
#1 ·
Hi,

What is is called when an addition is on the 2nd story, but the addition is up on stilts....I have no idea how to describe this. Here is a picture I found online: http://images.google.com/imgres?img...+conversion&start=18&gbv=2&ndsp=18&hl=en&sa=N

It appears that the deck was converted into an interior space.

After I figure out the proper terminology, I want to learn more about the pros and cons of this type of addition.

Thanks!
Melissa

#3 ·
The piers that would support a deck will typically be inadequate for support of a habitable living space. It is certainly possible to build an addition this way, but much larger piers and bearing structure would be required. An engineer is needed to determine the correct pier size. So, you normally can't throw a roof and walls on what was an exterior deck and expect it to perform structurally.

Personally, I see few advantages to this configuration. Insulating the floor adequately is very important, and any plumbing in the room is a real challenge. Personally, I'd opt for a slab on grade with trench footings instead...Much warmer and less cheesy of a design. If grade is too low, go with a poured footing/foundation and framed floor over a crawlspace.

#4 ·
That's an addition built on pier footings (as already stated).

Some of the Pros:
Save on costs of excavation work, soil removal, form-work, and amount of concrete. Less cost overall to do, than a full foundation addition.

Some of the cons:
Enclosed room's flooring, may not be as stable as a full enclosed foundation (May affect tile work).
Space underneath is somewhat open to the elements. In the case of any plumbing there; even closed and insulated, pipes can freeze.
Some don't like the look of a room attached to the house without a foundation like the rest of the house has.
Joist area underneath should be closed-off if Pressure Treated lumber or other non-resistant lumber is not used.

The majority of room additions built on pier footings are designed to be used as 3-season rooms. Such purpose means that they may not have any electrical, they have no insulation,
no Low-e rated windows, and no source of heat.

If two floor levels are to be added, as opposed to a single floor room addition, standard pier footings will not necessarily support the added load.

#5 ·
Thanks for the responses.

I would NOT be doing an addition on an existing deck, it would be a new structure. It would extend out only 7.5 feet. There would be a bathtub (no sink or toilet) but the plumbing would run an interior wall, not the floor.

I can do a regular foundation running from the basement, but I have many major systems it would disrubt, such as my above ground main sewer line (very old house), an outside grinder pump, and my basement water drainage system. I suspect that altering these major systems will cost a ton of money for 7.5 feet. Not to mention, I do not need, nor want the extra 7.5 feet in the basement.

Of course, I don't want something that is not structurally sound or good for the long term. I also would definitly need this for a 4 season room as it is adding closet space and a larger bath onto my MBR.

i would love to hear anyone else's input/thoughts.

#9 ·
Your trap always has water in it. The remainder of the pipe will drain dry. The trap will freeze quite easily and block the drain, probably break it as well. There are electrical tape products that can be used to heat pipes.
Got it, so basically because of the smaller volume of water, it is actually probably more likely to freeze if it got so cold.

Thanks!

#11 ·
Addition on to house from a deck

Hi,
My name is Dorothy and I am new to this forum and your pics are the same ideal i have for remodeling on my Deck. I would like to turn my deck into a room but I got this rediculous price for doing this 20,000.00 dollars. I don't think this is a good price. Have you had an estimate done for something like this. If so, I would like to know how much. My room would be a 16 x 16 if this information help. I don't know a lot about pricing for a room but I think this is a bit much. Anyone, that can help me please. I would like 4 windows and a standard door.

Thank you,
Dorothy

#12 ·
Hi,
My name is Dorothy and I am new to this forum and your pics are the same ideal i have for remodeling on my Deck. I would like to turn my deck into a room but I got this rediculous price for doing this 20,000.00 dollars. I don't think this is a good price. Have you had an estimate done for something like this. If so, I would like to know how much. My room would be a 16 x 16 if this information help. I don't know a lot about pricing for a room but I think this is a bit much. Anyone, that can help me please. I would like 4 windows and a standard door.

Thank you,
Dorothy
Pricing varies by area & specific job
This is a DIY site, not a pricing site
Get several local estimates & checxk references

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.