Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-15-2014, 07:10 PM   #1

Share |

Adding a tub to a slab house and Genset w/no gas...

Hey folks, a couple of questions:

1. We are relocating south and I need to add a tub to an existing bath where there is a walk-in shower. I suspect there was a tub there to begin with as the mixing valve is still in the lower 'tub location'. There is access to this valve through a small hatch in the linen closet. I did not pull this panel off on my first look at the house. Is it typical in these slab installations that this panel will provide access to the drain?

2. This will be the first house I've owned where I have not had NG service and it is not an option. What are my options, if any, for the installation of a whole-home generator. Would I have an LP tank installed to feed the generator? If so, what size tank would be needed to provide a several days of run-time on on a 14kW generator?

Thanks,

Ultra

Ultrarunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 08:18 PM   #2

It's extremely unlikely that you will be able to access the drain through that access panel. The only way to access it is going to be to tear out some concrete in most cases, just one of the many problems with homes built on slabs.

As for the generator, as you mentioned propane is obviously an option, sizing would depend on the model of generator but the spec sheet should show the usage per hour at full load so you could calculate a tank size from there. Another option would be diesel to fuel the generator. This type of generator would probably be more expensive upfront but they normally are much more durable in the long run. Diesel fuel going stale isn't really a problem.

Msradell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 08:24 PM   #3

Access panel was probably put in when they put in the shower valve. As for your LP tank your supplier will help you with the size, permits, and plumbing.
ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 08:49 PM   #4

Hey folks, thanks for the responses. I figured I'd be banging out some concrete, so we'll get into that when we take possession. I suspect not to big a job.

After I posted, I did some searching on the Gen issue. Found plenty of info from the folks posting on the doom-and-gloom websites, as to run times, etc...

Had not thought of the diesel option, and if liquid-cooled, would run plenty quiet....

Might just do a portable with a sub-panel to run some key circuits till I determine what might be needed for the longer term...

Ultra
Ultrarunner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ultrarunner For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (04-15-2014)
Old 04-16-2014, 08:59 AM   #5

An issue you may run into with propane is not using enough gas and end up having to pay rental on the tank.
Around here is you do not use 100 gal. in 12 months you get charged.
Switch to a gas stove, dryer, gas back up HVAC, gas fireplace can take care of that problem.
Old 04-16-2014, 10:12 AM   #6

A block out form for tub drains is common so don't be too surprised if you find it that way but I'm sure it'll bring a big smile if there is .

If you go with propane you'll have enough money remaining to purchase your own propane tank and not be concerned about additives, jelling and all that stuff.
Attached Images

Fairview is online now   Reply With Quote