Adding Attic Insulation - Cope With Brick Wall - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-20-2010, 03:45 PM   #1
rdc

Rewards Points: 10

adding attic insulation - cope with brick wall

Hi all, I am going to blow in cellulose into the attic of my Houston house. The first floor on the south side has an outer brick wall which ends just before the attic starts, leaving a gap where the insulation will fall. What's the best way to block this off? I have soffit vents which I am protecting with Durovent but not sure what to do about this.

Oh, and a 2nd question - should I build something to lift the AC air duct off the rafters and insulate under it? or just insulate around them as is?

Thanks!
rdc
Attached Thumbnails
adding attic insulation - cope with brick wall-house-gap-outer-wall-sm.jpg   adding attic insulation - cope with brick wall-house-ac-rafters-sm.jpg  

Advertisement

rdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 04:59 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

It's not usually good to insulate w/ non-foam stuff against brick or concrete. You may want to spray foam the top of the brick wall. Is there any way to seal the wall with DryLok or some kind of concrete/stone sealer? I'd be a little concerned about moisture there. You pipes look well sealed and insulated, but if you are ever going to access them, you may want to keep them above the insulation; I would.

Advertisement

jklingel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 09:00 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,018

Roll some glass batts in plastic garbage bags or rigid foam board, then spray canned foam at the joints.

Is that a skylight chase?

The 6" supply flex duct shouldn't have any sharp bends to restrict the air flow.... and needs two center span supports.

If that's an air handler up there, may want to protect it when insulating. Ever think about a conditioned attic? http://www.buildingscience.com/docum...r-all-climates

Gary
Old 11-21-2010, 04:20 PM   #4
rdc

Rewards Points: 10

Thanks, guys! It probably wasn't entirely clear from the first picture, but the top plate ends where the insulation ends, and looking down directly from above you can see the sheathing going down the wall to the ground. The joists continue beyond the interior wall to the brick wall which is separated by a gap of 1-2 inches. There's nothing to keep the insulation from just falling into this gap. I dont think anything there needs to be insulated since everything is already outside (please correct me if I'm wrong). I suppose I could just build a dam across each joist; that would allow ventilation to continue. Or I could close the gap with something.

Gary, no skylights. Are you suggesting my larger duct is bent too sharply? What is an acceptable radius for a 90 degree bend? I will build supports for these ducts. Looks like if I want to lift the others up above the insulation I will have to buy some new ducting.

That was interesting to read about the conditioned attic, but way beyond the scope of what I can accomplish right now.
rdc
rdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 08:58 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,018

No, not the larger, but the smaller top one. Give you an idea: http://rockwallcontrols.com/Resident...ag=air-ducting
And a little more technical: http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Pressu.....-a0201591046

No need to lift the big bottom one up, just insulate around and over it. Code may only have required R-7 there, yet a higher R-value in your walls, floor, and ceiling. Especially if they are heat supply.

Gary