Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-04-2013, 09:56 AM   #1

Share |

Add vent to soffit?

I am installing a dust collector in my shop. I would like to pipe the exhaust outside but I want to do it in a way that's easy to repair should I move it down the road. The exhaust is 7" diameter, and I am not sure if I will be using S&D pipe or snap-lock ducting yet but it shouldn't matter. I have decided to cut a hole in the drywall ceiling and pipe it into the attic and across about 4ft to the eave and then connect it to some sort of vent I cut and install into the soffit material.

Does anyone know of a vent I could use for this? I need to be able to attach a 7" diameter pipe to it and I would like for it to have some sort of protection to prevent bugs from entering it when the DC is off. I have a vent on the outside for my dryer but it has too small of an inlet and the flaps preventing critters from getting in would not work when mounted on the soffit as they would just hang down open.

This is the type of soffit material I have:
http://www.guttersupply.com/file_are...83103_8496.jpg

Thanks!

BrandonD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 02:14 PM   #2

Add vent to soffit?

Not a great plan.
Any dust that get's blown out can be sucked back up into the soffit by the negative pressure in the attic from venting.
Also you would have 2, 90 deg. angles doing it that way.
What type siding do you have?

Old 11-04-2013, 02:27 PM   #3

Add vent to soffit?

I would use four 45 degree fittings actually, maybe 3 if I need to use flex for the last bit. It is a 3.5HP 2 stage collector, the exhaust is as strong as a leaf blower. Most of the dust will be collected before the exhaust, the remaining will be shot out with pretty good power and the fittings won't impact it much.

The wall is block with stucco. Some of the block cavities in the area have been filled with concrete as well. I would prefer to not go this route as I already have the skills and even the materials to repair a hole in drywall and soffit material. I can't say the same for a 7" hole in block.

Last edited by BrandonD; 11-04-2013 at 02:32 PM.
Old 11-04-2013, 02:49 PM   #4

Add vent to soffit?

Check to make sure your soffit is wide enough. This should work but you'll need to adapt the 7 inch duct to 8 inches.

http://www.heyokasolutions.com/Soffi...rmx-sv2801.htm
BrandonD (11-05-2013)
Old 11-05-2013, 07:40 AM   #5

Add vent to soffit?

Thanks, that looks promising. I'll check the dimensions before ordering.