Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-22-2011, 03:48 AM   #1

Share |

Ac

It my ac running it's an amana w/ heat pump 5 ton, I own a two story home, the ac runs upstairs but won't turn on downstairs I just bought a honeywell thermostat still no air nothing it looks like it won't go to other zone2 any suggestions ?
Thanks

Name:  image-2320204745.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  37.9 KB

This is the thermo upstairs working

Last edited by Jamntx; 08-22-2011 at 03:53 AM.
Jamntx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 06:32 AM   #2

Ac

I don't see a display on the unit. If this a battery operated device?
When was the last time you changed the battery?
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 06:42 AM   #3

Ac

This model didn't have battery bk up, the power was off when I took pic , then new one had a jumper staple in it but I removed it thought that's what it said in the instruction, unit is electric, not sure if that coulda bn the reason
Old 08-22-2011, 07:01 AM   #4

Ac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamntx View Post
This model didn't have battery bk up, the power was off when I took pic , then new one had a jumper staple in it but I removed it thought that's what it said in the instruction, unit is electric, not sure if that coulda bn the reason
What was wrong with the other thermostat? You may be compounding the problem by adding another reason the A/C isn't working.
Did the other thermostat have a battery? Maybe all it needed was a battery.
When did the upstairs zone stop working?
Has the unit been serviced recently?
Did someone turn off a switch somewhere?
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 01:44 PM   #5

Ac

Moved in and was missing thermo downstairs was ripped out, still had wires, the new one has battery, old one doesn't, ac was serviced replace capacitor, it blows cold upstairs but cannot get the Downstairs to turn on,
Old 08-22-2011, 02:23 PM   #6
fabrk8r

Ac

How is the home zoned? Are there separate condensing units & air handlers or zone dampers?
Old 08-22-2011, 02:30 PM   #7

Ac

One uniot outside, I believe it's dampers ,
Old 08-22-2011, 02:35 PM   #8

Ac

are the wires landing on both subbases the same amounts either can call the unit in

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 02:37 PM   #9
fabrk8r

Ac

If you only have one condensing unit outside and one evaporator coil/air handler/furnace inside and the system is set up so there are separate zones upstairs and downstairs then there will have to be zone dampers somewhere. See if you can locate these dampers.

If there are not motorized zone dampers anywhere in the system then the home's air flow is balanced using plain old dampers in the duct (hopefully). You will need to do some detective work. Are you sure the thermostat you are trying to install will even control anything? You may need to trace the thermostat wire to see where it goes if you don't already know.