Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-11-2012, 12:03 PM   #1

Share |

Above ground pool help

I have a 28' round pool that I recently replaced the liner on and am almost done filling up. I have a chlorine pump and would like to know what chemicals I need to start the pool for the season. Is there a startup kit I can buy online that has everything I need? Thanks

joeg679 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 12:44 PM   #2

Above ground pool help

Are you filling this pool from a well, municipal water source, pumped from a creek/pond? These all have their unique circumstances to over come.

An initial shock of chlorine should get you up and running

You will need to get a good water test kit to determine the water quality you have. Just dumping a"starter kit" into a pool is like flushing money down a toilet. Most pools filled from a municipal water source don't need much more than an initial dose of chlorine (if that is the sanitizer you are going to use) Total alkalinity of the water as well as Ph is also important once the pool is up and running. Get some test readings and report back.
Remeber, the pool stores can be helpful but, they are also in the business of selling stuff. Know what you need from them before you go in.

Last edited by danpik; 06-11-2012 at 12:47 PM.
danpik is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to danpik For This Useful Post:
joeg679 (06-11-2012)
Old 06-11-2012, 01:08 PM   #3

Above ground pool help

Quote:
Originally Posted by danpik View Post
Are you filling this pool from a well, municipal water source, pumped from a creek/pond? These all have their unique circumstances to over come.

An initial shock of chlorine should get you up and running

You will need to get a good water test kit to determine the water quality you have. Just dumping a"starter kit" into a pool is like flushing money down a toilet. Most pools filled from a municipal water source don't need much more than an initial dose of chlorine (if that is the sanitizer you are going to use) Total alkalinity of the water as well as Ph is also important once the pool is up and running. Get some test readings and report back.
Remeber, the pool stores can be helpful but, they are also in the business of selling stuff. Know what you need from them before you go in.

I am filling it from our town water. I called a place online and they suggested the product below. Is this not necessary?

http://www.poolproducts.com/SPP/prod...family_id=2593
joeg679 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 04:13 PM   #4

Above ground pool help

Seems pretty pricy for basicaly chlorine. I recently saw a 25# pail of 3" chlorine tabs for $80.00. Ph+ does you no good if you need -. Test the water to see where everything is. A good site to help you with this is... http://www.troublefreepool.com/index.html A lot of good people with good info to help you out.

I have had a pool for 12 years now and never used any Ph+. Had to use some muriatic acid once or twice to lower it

Last edited by danpik; 06-11-2012 at 04:26 PM.
danpik is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to danpik For This Useful Post:
joeg679 (06-11-2012)
Old 06-12-2012, 08:40 PM   #5

Above ground pool help

Start with 2 small bags of shock when full. Next morning, take water sample to a pool store and they will tell you exactly what you need to get water perfect. Water testing is almost always free.

If you can't do that, check the water with any brand test strips you can find (pool store, home center, hardware stores all sell them), or order these online (http://www.inyopools.com/Products/01300046000803.htm). You will be monitoring chlorine, stabilizer (cyanoric acid), PH, and total alkalinity, and adding in chemicals as needed. For example, chlorine tabs as needed, PH-Up (i.e. sodium carbonate) or PH-Down (or muriatic acid) as needed. You also have to check and add in chlorine stabilizer once when you open the pool (cyanoric acid), and maintain your total alkalinity. If you have wild swings in the PH during the season, it's usually the total alkalinity that is causing that. PH and alkalinity go together but are not the same thing.

Pretty simple to manage once you get the hang of it, but difficult to explain, which is why I recommend taking a sample to pool store, at least when you open up and once a month or so....
pucks101 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pucks101 For This Useful Post:
joeg679 (06-12-2012)