DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Above ground pool cover question

7K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Jim F 
#1 ·
I have an above ground pool with a deck all the way around it. Every year when I get it covered, the inflatable pillows always deflate and I end up with a ton of water on the cover, then the pump winds up ripping the cover. The liner recently ripped and I am not gonna replace it until next year, but I still need to cover it for the winter. I was thinking of covering it as usual, but first I was going to lay pvc pipes every 5 or so feet then lay the cover on top of that so it doesn't sag. Do you guys have any other suggestions. I was also thinking about building a structure out of pvc, kind of like a table, that I would put on the floor of the pool and that would hold up the cover. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

#2 ·
My dad used to use empty (and cleaned) plastic gallon milk jugs or something such as that and floated them on the water to support his cover. For that to work the water lever would have to be quite high. I know some people that lower the water level in the winter freeze. It would not work for them.

the pvc pipes will sag as they cross the pool. The will not support themselves let along and weight from water on the cover.

something along the lines of your table in the pool:

a single tent pole type structure for the center of the pool. You would have to put a large flat plate on the bottom end so it doesn't pierce the bottom of the pool and something such as a large salad bowl shaped piece (upside down) for the top so it won't pierce the top.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.