Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-08-2013, 11:39 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

5'' sill plate

_____

Last edited by Jocose; 03-09-2013 at 02:35 AM.
Jocose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 12:31 AM   #2
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,240

5'' sill plate

You need to go back and talk to the architect that drew up the plans for the build, for the basement to see what they think.

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 12:37 AM   #3

5'' sill plate

_____

Old 03-09-2013, 01:49 AM   #4
Retired from the grind

5'' sill plate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jocose View Post
There is no architect. This is a DIY job. All of the work is really simple and I've been working with the county building inspector as I go. I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas that would sound plausible I could take to him for approval. This is my first big project like this, and I am just not well versed on what can be done where the walls meet the foundations.

If anyone has some options that would be great.
No one will have any ideas to give you, due to they will not take on the liability on a Internet website. It is like going to a lawyer and telling them that you have a question regarding your rights if you were to kill someone, then after they tell you what they are, you slip them the "Oh, btw I actually did a hour before I started talking to you."

See what I am talking about. Taking on the job that you are, is not a DIY job in any way, due to you are risking a lot of liability, and really need to consult with an architect on this job.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
Old 03-09-2013, 02:01 AM   #5

5'' sill plate

_____

Old 03-09-2013, 02:19 AM   #6
Retired from the grind

5'' sill plate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jocose View Post
Huh,

Thought the disclaimer on the site covered that. Anyways I appreciate your taking the time to write that. I have two other carpenters in the family that have both done similar jobs.

It certainly is a DIY job, just a big one. Building inspector (former architect actually) stops by a few times a month and checks on exactly what I'm doing and all my plans are approved by him.

Just couldn't get in touch with anyone this weekend so I thought I would try posting here to brain storm.

Sorry If my question was outside the scope of the forum. I wasn't aware.
Again no it is not a DIY job. Building planter boxes, putting up new railings on your porch, laying tile in a bath or Kitchen, building a small shed or play house is a diy job.

Building a foundation with footings that have to not only be spec'd out for the weight of the load that is going to be placed on them, but also the heave and any movement from the soil that has to be taken into consideration is something that a professional that is familiar in that area, needs to be consulted with.

I find that majority of issues that have to be fixed, are those who have family members that work in the construction industry, but do not have the degrees or expertise, which causes more issues than they realize, is why things like your job end up getting Red tagged, or condemned by the city or county, because the proper procedures were not taken.

My grandfather ran one of the largest construction businesses in the state of Illinois, but that does not mean that I can be able to do what he did, just because I can say I have a family member on my mother's side that did this stuff as professional with years of knowledge and a degree in building engineering, that it is in my genes.

Sorry, but what you are taking on, is again not a DIY job, and needs the professionalism of an expert that knows what you are attempting, in order to make sure that it is done correct from start to finish.