Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-04-2011, 05:52 PM   #1

Share |

2004 Jeep Cherokee Starting Issue

I have a 2004 Jeep Cherokee that in the last few weeks has been giving me a problem starting. Sometimes it will start and then other times it won't turn over. I have lights in the dash but nothing else. Has a new battery and a new starter that was replaced this week. Any ideas? TY

tpvahey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 05:56 PM   #2

You can have the mechanic test your ignition coil or see if there is a hair line crack on your distributer cap.

epson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 07:21 PM   #3
JOATMON

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpvahey View Post
I have a 2004 Jeep Cherokee that in the last few weeks has been giving me a problem starting. Sometimes it will start and then other times it won't turn over. I have lights in the dash but nothing else. Has a new battery and a new starter that was replaced this week. Any ideas? TY
If it won't turn over.....it's not a dist problem.....

You really need some basic electrical skills to narrow it down....if you know how to use a voltmeter....that helps.

The two most common problems like this are the ignition switch and the starter relay. I had an 89 and the starter relay was on the drivers side wheel well. If you don't know what a starter relay looks like....google it....if you still can't find it then stop....just take it to a mechanic.

Once you find the starter relay, use a voltmeter to measure the voltage going to the small terminal that has a wire on it. The two larger terminals are for the starter....one goes to the battery, the other to the starter. The small wire energizes the relay to send power to the starter. If you are not getting voltage to the relay...then there is a good chance your ignition switch is bad. But you could also have a bad connection on your fuse block.

If you are getting 12 Vdc to the starter relay and it's not clicking....you have a bad starter relay. If it is clicking but the starter is not turning over, then measure the voltage coming out of the relay....if a full 12 v or more....relay ok...either bad connection at the starter or the starter is bad.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 05:29 AM   #4

These jeeps are famous for this. I have 2, 1990 and 1993. On both I installed a push button starter switch on the console. I believe the actual problem is in the relay but this works. good luck.
cbereswill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 08:17 AM   #5
Coconut Pete's paella!

You said you have lights in the dash? Do you mean the cluster lights up or there is a check engine light? Might help to have the codes pulled, if you have Autozones around you, they do it for free.
CoconutPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 04:48 PM   #6

If it's not even turning over intermittently, I'd say the starter is defective.

rustyjames is online now   Reply With Quote