DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   General DIY Discussions (http://www.diychatroom.com/f2/)
-   -   20' Sea Cargo Container Placement Recommentations? (http://www.diychatroom.com/f2/20-sea-cargo-container-placement-recommentations-56278/)

vsheetz 10-30-2009 02:43 PM

20' Sea Cargo Container Placement Recommentations?
 
I have purchased a 20' Sea Cargo Container to use a temp household items storage during a coming project. Will probably in place for about a year (I am estimating 6 months for the project :thumbup:).

I have a location that is out-of-the-way, easy access, and secure. Level dirt pad for it that is well drained. Snow is not a consideration or heavy rains as it's in SoCal.

Looking for experiences and suggestions on how to set it up. Just set it on the ground? Place three or four pressure treated 2x4 or 4x4 under it to keep the bottom off the ground? Other suggestions?

Thx!

Salem747 10-30-2009 03:24 PM

We place them directly on the ground at the mines. You can use some blocking to level it up though. You should think about building a bit of a landing with a step for getting in so you don't trip going in there carrying your couch!

Does yours have the wooden decking? Make sure you get one with the decking inside.

vsheetz 10-30-2009 11:17 PM

I was able to get the container picked up and delivered late this afternoon rather than over the coming weekend. The transport driver was knowledge with the units - mostly it's directly hon the ground, except for a couple pieces of 2x10 to level it, with a slight tilt to the front so water would run out of it when cleaning and so rain water would not stand on the top.

Thanks for the comment of a landing to reduce the trip hazard - I was looking at that very problem today and thinking the same thing.

Yes, it has wooden decking on the floor.

Tomorrow morning I'll give it a good cleaning inside with my power washer and then let the doors stand open over the weekend to air it out.


btw - this thing is HEAVY, 5600 lbs I am told.

thx!
Vince

Salem747 10-31-2009 07:59 AM

Imagine how heavy it is coming from China full of junk!!!

Thurman 10-31-2009 01:48 PM

Other than "So-Cal" as listed as your location, I would wonder what, if any, permits may be required to place this unit? Just a thought, but here we are required to obtain a permit for these, the local company that rents these does not take care of that "small" detail. IF this is to be temporary, we are also required to obtain signed notice of each adjacent property owner allowing us to place one of these with the projected time period it will be in place listed on the paperwork. Good Luck, David

vsheetz 10-31-2009 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thurman (Post 347716)
Other than "So-Cal" as listed as your location, I would wonder what, if any, permits may be required to place this unit? Just a thought, but here we are required to obtain a permit for these, the local company that rents these does not take care of that "small" detail. IF this is to be temporary, we are also required to obtain signed notice of each adjacent property owner allowing us to place one of these with the projected time period it will be in place listed on the paperwork. Good Luck, David

Here, if perm and over 100 sq ft, permit needed - if temp, no permit needed. Even tho, to be a good neighbor it's tucked away on the rear of my property behind my workshop/garage - can't even be seen from street or neighbors property. I don't want to look at it either. :)

Salem747 11-01-2009 08:23 AM

Wow, that is a little bit controlling. I agree that nobody wants to live next to a secan city but does it really need to be legislated???

vsheetz 11-01-2009 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Salem747 (Post 347979)
Wow, that is a little bit controlling. I agree that nobody wants to live next to a secan city but does it really need to be legislated???

It would be treated as an accessory building of left permanently. Methinks the 10x10 comes from being a common size of those metal lawn buildings. I researched all this a few years ago when trying to decide what to build for storage and workshop - ended up building a 24x30 workshop/storage building on the rear of the property - done permitted and to code, etc.

md2lgyk 11-05-2009 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vsheetz (Post 347383)
I have purchased a 20' Sea Cargo Container to use a temp household items storage during a coming project. Will probably in place for about a year (I am estimating 6 months for the project :thumbup:).

I have a location that is out-of-the-way, easy access, and secure. Level dirt pad for it that is well drained. Snow is not a consideration or heavy rains as it's in SoCal.

Looking for experiences and suggestions on how to set it up. Just set it on the ground? Place three or four pressure treated 2x4 or 4x4 under it to keep the bottom off the ground? Other suggestions?

Thx!

Likely not an issue where you live, but where I live (Eastern WV) I was advised by more than one person NOT to use an ISO container for long-term storage of household goods. As it was explained, in colder climates there will be a lot of condensation inside the container that will cause rust and mold on whatever's stored inside.

Scuba_Dave 11-05-2009 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Salem747 (Post 347979)
Wow, that is a little bit controlling. I agree that nobody wants to live next to a secan city but does it really need to be legislated???

You've never lived near someone who decides to put 3-5 or more in there yard
The legislation is for structures, and Yes it is needed
Other wise many people would be building or dumping containers all over

vsheetz 11-05-2009 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by md2lgyk (Post 349414)
Likely not an issue where you live, but where I live (Eastern WV) I was advised by more than one person NOT to use an ISO container for long-term storage of household goods. As it was explained, in colder climates there will be a lot of condensation inside the container that will cause rust and mold on whatever's stored inside.

I have seen where it's not uncommon to install a couple turbine air vents on the top of the units for some climate control.

md2lgyk 11-05-2009 11:54 AM

Yes, I've seen that as well. But I wouldn't trust it if I had expensive furniture.

storage 07-18-2010 09:49 PM

Storage Containers legos for adults!
 
1 Attachment(s)
Storage Containers can be used for anything. Consider that they are used to ship everything from furniture to tennis shoes. Sea cargo containers work really well as housing, offices and anything else you can think of.

The followin link shows a clip from Modern Marvels. It is an excellents example of what storage containers can be used for.

There are moisture wicking products called dessicants that are used in cargo containers and road trailers. Please see my website for product information suggestions. Scrool down to the section titled "Staying Dry". I also had a client tell me that they just add cheep charcoal to a large bucket to wick out moisture-cheep, but I haven't tried it myself.

You can also add insulation, turbines and ac/heat units. We add small ac window units and baseboard heaters. They are usually less than $200.00. We also add a fabricated steel cage around the ad unit-keeps folks honest.

The thing to remember is to check your unit on a regular basis. You wouldn't buy a home and leave it closed and unattended for years, would you?

Please feel free to ask me any questions about Storage trailers or Storage Containers. I am out of Atlanta, but am happy to help anyone out there. For a quick respose you can contact me via my website listed above.

bluejeans 07-20-2010 06:51 PM

vsheets, I also am considering the same thing,but in the northeast.since they are on the coasts,this one would come from newark,nj.I would be interested if you would share the cost,plus shipping.either shouting from the top of the mountain or in a private email.the price i was quoted, i could build a decent garage.that could stay there forever.thanks either way.i am well inland,that could be the factor in price.

vsheetz 07-21-2010 03:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluejeans (Post 472588)
vsheets, I also am considering the same thing,but in the northeast.since they are on the coasts,this one would come from newark,nj.I would be interested if you would share the cost,plus shipping.either shouting from the top of the mountain or in a private email.the price i was quoted, i could build a decent garage.that could stay there forever.thanks either way.i am well inland,that could be the factor in price.



I paid $1100 from a private party who used it to store horse tack and no longer needed it. This was a good price - I usually see them in the ~1300 range. The 15-20 mile move to my property cost about $200-250, don't remember exactly.

I found the unit and mover guy both on Craigslist. Here in the San Diego area containers are advertised regularly on Craigslist - companies reselling them as well as the occational individual as I found.

A 40' unit is cheaper per cubic foot of storage - I usually see them selling ~$1800. However the moving costs are considerably higher due to the size and weight - and it's often difficult to find space to place a 40' or a space into where a 40' can be maneuvered.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:55 PM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved