Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-04-2014, 07:27 PM   #1

Share |
Exclamation

-20 degrees and a blizzard (Indiana). Here's my prep list.

Here's a link to the 5 day forecast: http://www.google.org/publicalerts/a...=US&source=web

TL;DR: Preparations and plans for a once in a lifetime storm. (Please if I've missed something obvious reply right away).

1. Finally bought a small generator (harbor freight). 3200 watt/4000 peak $339
2. 4X100 foot electrical cords, splitter cords, 2 infrared light bulbs (Lowes) $90
3. Mini pipe wrench, penetrating spray, copper plumbing tubing cutter (HF) $25
4. Kerosene radiant heater (indoor rated) (Lowes) $120
5. Two 5 gallon cans, one for kerosene, one for gasoline (Lowes) $40
6. 4X750watt small ceramic space heaters (for bathrooms if we lose heat) $77
7. Additional storm items - batteries, water, fuel, extra supplies $100

So there you go - $791 later I feel marginally prepared.

2 kerosene heaters, 6 small electric heaters, 3 gallons of RV antifreeze, tools, lights and equipment to (if necessary) drain the plumbing and weather the storm with minimal damage.

We've got 4 toilets, 8 sinks, two showers and a tub to drain and freezeproof, then I'll have to use the cutting tool to separate the water inlet line at the lowest point in the house to drain what I can from my pipes.

I can't just hook the generator to my furnace to keep heat because we don't have one. Our house is heated 100% electrically (whole house radiant). I can't wait to get next month's electric bill.

Of course, if we don't lose whole-house electrical power I'll just pop a spaceheater into each bathroom, fire up a kerosene heater in the garage (plumbing for one sink and the washing machine are in an inner wall of the garage), throw some logs on the fire and hope the DVDs hold out.

imautoparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 07:34 PM   #2

Good luck!

rossfingal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 08:01 PM   #3

Why not before the storm hits cut that pipe, add a tee and a ball valve.
How do you plan on flushing the toilets? Full the tub with water and get a 5 gal. bucket.
Tank on the toilet does not need to be filled, just dump water down the bowl.
If it's cold outside why not put anything you want to keep outside in a cooler, close the lid at night to keep critters out.
We use a propane two burner stove and a two globe lantern for lighting.
Hope you bought 12 gauge cords.
Old 01-04-2014, 08:16 PM   #4

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074

I guess I was lucky on the preparation costs for the short spell. I just went out a bought a rolled rib roast that I could use as a roast or cut into steaks, a box of red wine (if there room in the fridge) and topped off the gas tanks for the SUVs and retired inside for a few days and no worries. I anticipate there may be neighborhood parties tonight and tomorrow and tomorrow night for the football games/ - Just hibernating for a day or so since they are talking about highs of -12F and wind chills of -35F. - At lot easier than when I lived 200 miles north and saw -52F on our certified plant site weather station.

All utilities (electric, natural gas, cable, internet and telephone are underground). All real voice/internet communications are also via cell phones. In about 50 winters in the MSP/MN area for a short cold snap (if and when it happens), it has never been a problem. You just live with the minor inconvenience. Unfortunately, I may have to work some tomorrow because things go on in the rest of the world.

We are now at 5.5F heading for -18F just after sun rise (the cold temperatures happen temporarily when the sun changes the vertical circulation and draws down the colder air). Those appraently low temperatures keep the weathermen employed until there are storms to pump up the viewer numbers.

Life would be boring without weather events.

Dick
concretemasonry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to concretemasonry For This Useful Post:
gregzoll (01-04-2014)
Old 01-04-2014, 08:28 PM   #5
Tileguy

I would not recommend using 100 ft. cords, they're too long and you'll loose amps. And I agree with Joe's hunch that you may not have 12 gauge cords, (by the price). You need heavy cords from the generator to appliances at least.

I bought a bunch of cords of different lengths and routed them the way I want. I labelled each cord and they are in a box to be used only when the power goes out. I've had this generator for about 8 years and used it only once a few months ago for under 24 hours.

I've made no provisions for heat as we have a gas insert and doubt it would get dangerously cold. I also think draining lines is not necessary.

Good luck to you.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 08:38 PM   #6
In a little over my head

Milk, bread and eggs?
And a case (or two) of good beer?
ratherbefishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 08:39 PM   #7

on that house drain down,add a T on your side of the house incoming and a nipple with a ball valve on the BULL ...just shut the main incoming... open the ball and vent the show... flush the bowls
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 08:43 PM   #8
Retired from the grind

My prep list, was go get a case of Washer Fluid, since we have three vehicles, and probably will go through just two bottles in the next three days.

I will love going out to clean off ours and the neighbor's drive in this cold, but will be no different than it was the last time it Snowed. Get done, come inside and have some hot coffee, and take a warm shower, I will be ready to relax after.

Otherwise, I have a 12 pack of Shiner Bock, we have food, and it is warm in my house.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 08:44 PM   #9
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratherbefishing View Post
Milk, bread and eggs?
And a case (or two) of good beer?
I never did get the whole French Toast Fixings. People act like it is the end of the world, and those three will survive the Apocalypses.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 08:56 PM   #10

Seems the further north you go the less worried folks seem to be. My preparation...nothing.. its just another day.
creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to creeper For This Useful Post:
gregzoll (01-04-2014), Gymschu (01-04-2014), oberon (01-16-2014), ThatDaveGuy (01-05-2014)
Old 01-04-2014, 09:01 PM   #11
Concrete & Masonry

I should probably bring my beer in from the garage so it doesn't freeze. Or just drink it tonight , it won't freeze in my belly.......
jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jomama45 For This Useful Post:
creeper (01-04-2014), oberon (01-16-2014)
Old 01-04-2014, 09:18 PM   #12

Well, I appreciate the comments and suggestions.

Thanks for the warning on the cords. I can upgrade tomorrow morning before the storm worsens. If I don't lose power I won't need to unwrap them, so it is pretty much the cheapest insurance I can buy.

For some reason our electrical reliability has been worsening these last few years. Never since the early 1960s had we had any outages at all. I imagine a major factor is the local grid, which was brand new.

My biggest worry is my toilets. They are custom, they wall-mount, and I am not sure if they can even be replaced. Retrofitting the house for base-mount toilets (4 of them) would be a nightmare.

As far as the cord length, it is simply necessary. I do have one bath right at the front door that could use a 25 foot cord, but the rest of the house is pretty much 100 feet away in all different directions.
Old 01-04-2014, 09:26 PM   #13

Question

The weather is saying -15 to -25 below for at least a 36 hour period.

I have a home built in 1968 with American-Standard wall mounted toilets.

We have four of them. I am pretty sure they don't make residential toilets like these anymore, so I'm not even sure they can be replaced.

I also have two large waterheaters in the basement.

I have two questions.

1. Do you think that my waterheaters would be safe? They are in a 7' concrete basement, nestled under a stairway against an inside wall. The mass of the house is pretty much centered over that spot.

One of the waterheaters is an original 1968. I'm not sure I want to attempt to open the valve to drain it. The other was new 5 years ago. They are electric.

2. My toilets look similar to the 'commercial' toilet pictured here. I have purchased three gallons of RV antifreeze, but am unsure how to proceed. Could you instruct me in the proper method to use the antifreeze?

Last edited by imautoparts; 01-04-2014 at 09:28 PM.
Old 01-04-2014, 09:30 PM   #14

Plan on the temperature going below 32 deg. inside?
If not then there not going to freeze.
If so pick up some RV antifreeze and dump some in the bowl
gregzoll (01-05-2014)
Old 01-04-2014, 09:33 PM   #15

You know the weather is bad when the weather man is talking loud & fast and smiling from ear to ear.

The news just did a segment about people getting ready for the storm. They showed the local grocery store (Meijer) and said that 27 of the 28 checkout lanes are open and the lines are long. People are having to wait in line to get a grocery cart to start their shopping.

@ imautoparts, here's something you could add to your list - for future weather emergencies (since it's too late to order one and get it in time for this storm). It's called a water bob. You put it in your bathtub and fill it with water. It takes the shape of your tub and store water for flushing, washing and boiling to drink.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...in%2Caps%2C277

gma2rjc is offline   Reply With Quote