1956 Asphalt/???? Tile Cover Up In LR/DR? Help Please! - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-02-2009, 08:27 AM   #1
Home Remodeler Wannabe

Rewards Points: 75

1956 Asphalt/???? Tile Cover up in LR/DR? Help Please!

I have posted various questions over the last month and have received SO MUCH HELP! THANK YOU ALL VERY VERY MUCH! (Very Brief History) bought my Grandparents house about 3 years ago. Just starting to renovate/repair.

Throughout the house are tiles. (not sure WHAT they are) Very brittle, Chocolate / tan with speckles, put done about 1956. I tore up the rugs that were last laid in 1976, thinking whatever is underneath CAN'T be worse than these rugs! WRONG! Some are broken, Mostly around the edges. With Christmas coming and the OT gone, I really can't afford new rugs at the present moment. (but is my goal) I am thinking that MAYBE I could paint these with an enamel paint (a couple feet in from the walls) and then get an area rug. Will they accept paint? Enamel? Or does anyone have any other suggestions? At this point I am even willing to go with vinyl sheet goods and an area rug. ANYTHING is better?!!!

Thank You

Advertisement

Scotsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 08:30 AM   #2
Home Remodeler Wannabe

This isn't MY floor but this is the tile type I am referring too!

Advertisement

Old 12-02-2009, 08:37 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

Paint will usually not hold up on a floor surface for very long
If you are going to rip it out then maybe as a Temp measure it will be OK
I ended up iwth a Temp rug from someone who was redoing their house
It was larger & I cut it down to size

I wouldn't put down vinyl as that will just be more work to take up when you redo the floor
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 06:04 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 268

More than likely those tiles and/or the adhesive contain asbestos.
rustyjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 08:11 AM   #5
Home Remodeler Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba_Dave View Post
Paint will usually not hold up on a floor surface for very long
If you are going to rip it out then maybe as a Temp measure it will be OK
I ended up iwth a Temp rug from someone who was redoing their house
It was larger & I cut it down to size

I wouldn't put down vinyl as that will just be more work to take up when you redo the floor
Dave I knew it wouldn't hold up for long, just wasn't sure if it would take the paint of just peel right off? It is only going to be around the 12" - 24" border of the room. With a throw rug to cover the rest. Temp until I get back from my cruise in March. VERY GOOD point about the vinyl. Although I must admit I probably wouldn't have removed it anyway, just carpeted over top.

Rusty, I am 100% sure they do, I think my grandfather use to eat asbestos for a snack, I think EVERYTHING back that had it. Another reason I don't want to take them up, not even so much worried about the tiles, but more so the adhesive.

Thnaks
Old 12-03-2009, 08:21 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,000

Ah, well if you are going to carpet over then vinyl is an option
My last house had 12 floor layers in the kitchen
So I'm sort of biased against doing that
Me, I'd just wait til March & carpet
Try painting a small area as a test (closet ?)
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 08:24 AM   #7
Home Remodeler Wannabe

That is what my wife is leaning towards, (I still hate it BAD! haha) but her thought is, Wasted Money! WIll have to wait and see how the walls turn out. Go from there!
Old 12-03-2009, 04:29 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 268

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotsman View Post
Rusty, I am 100% sure they do, I think my grandfather use to eat asbestos for a snack...Thnaks

Yummm...asbestos
rustyjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 09:30 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 150

Scotsman, The floor tiles will take paint if the surface is not "sealed". So I suggest you paint a couple of tiles and see if it adheres well. You might try wiping the tiles with paint thinner to dull the surface. You want to be sure the paint will adhere as it is a walking surface and you don't want the paint to peel off while someone is walking on it causing them to slip. BE CAREFUL about disturbing the tile, those old 9" X 9" floor tiles contain asbestos. DO NOT sand or otherwise rough up the surface as you will release asbestos fibers. If you remove the tiles, try not to break them when you take them up. Also, the mastic used to adhere the tiles to the subfloor or concrete slab often contained asbestos and so the removal of the tile can release asbestos fibers even when the tiles are not broken. I suggest you contact your local building dept. and find out who has jurisdiction over asbestos in your state and contact that entity for information. In NY the Dept of Labor has jurisdiction and the regulations are in Industrial Code Rule 56. Covering up the asbestos tile with a floating floor is a good alternative, e.g. a laminate floor, as you do not disturbe the floor tile and the laminate floors can be purchased for just a few dollars a square foot. Check out the following EPA link on asbestos. http://www.epa.gov/asbestos/pubs/ashome.html

Advertisement

TheCamper is offline   Reply With Quote