Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-18-2013, 07:23 AM   #1
Jack of all Trades

Rewards Points: 77

12v solar battery charger

Hi Guys and or Gals!

I purchased a 12v solar battery charger from Harbor Freight the other day. It was on-sale for like $11 with my 25% off coupon. I don't have a direct need for it right now but I was thinking it would probably good to throw in my truck for one of those days I might be running the trucks radio on a job site for a long time and don't want to run the risk of killing my battery. There is nothing more embarrassing than my old truck not starting when it comes time to leave the job!

Anyway, this initially caught my eye because I thought it was a AA/AAA/C/D rechargeable battery charger. Since the charger does output 12v, I don't see why I couldn't drop the voltage somehow to charge a 1.5 volt battery... however I am not that well versed in electronics. I know enough to get by and understand a little here and there but I was thinking by maybe adding some resistors I could get the voltage to drop.

Any thoughts on how I could achieve this? or any ideas on what else this solar charger could be used for? I would attempt to find a way to use it to charge up my power tool batteries but my power tools are all 18 volts. This would also pose a problem as most power tool chargers have either a timer or a way to cut the charge power is the battery is full. Aside from power tools anyone have thoughts on an additional use for this charger???

Here is the link to Harbor Freights page on the item: http://www.harborfreight.com/15-watt...ger-68692.html

lifestooshort81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 07:44 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

Easiest is to use it as intended to charge a 12vdc battery and then run a inverter from the battery - thus creating 120vac and something you can just plug in your tool charger, etc.

Old 09-18-2013, 08:15 AM   #3
Jack of all Trades

Rewards Points: 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
Easiest is to use it as intended to charge a 12vdc battery and then run a inverter from the battery - thus creating 120vac and something you can just plug in your tool charger, etc.
Vsheetz, way to take all the fun out of my DIY project. ha-ha! That's actually not a bad idea...I know I can get a cheapy inveter from good ole' harbor freight!

any other ideas???
lifestooshort81 is offline   Reply With Quote