1099 Question - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Forum > General DIY Discussions


Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2008, 09:32 AM   #1
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 1
Rewards Points: 10

1099 question

I and another individual have done some handy-man work together. The entire compensation was deposited in my account. I then would write him a check for his half. I don't think I should have to claim the entire amount as income when I only net half. Can I issue him a 1099 with no other information on him except name and address? If so, what is that process? Thanks for the help, Gene


Gene Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 02:36 PM   #2
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 1,802
Rewards Points: 1,000

I'm sure this was covered when you got your contractor's license. You do have a license, right? Anyway, you're too late to file it for this year, so pay up. Were you 1099'ed from any GC's for the work you did or was it all cash?


jerryh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 01:54 PM   #3
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Nashua, NH, USA
Posts: 7,971
Rewards Points: 1,548

You can and still should issue him a 1099 with as much information as you have. Admittedly it's late, it should have been sent to him by Jan. 31. And ask him right now for his social security number.

I th ink you have until the end of February to actually file the 1099 (and the Form 1096 cover sheet) for 2007 with the IRS.

Next time, have anyone else who works for you (or to whom you pay money for work performed) fill out the proper paper work which I think includes a Form W-9. If the person refuses to or neglects to fill out the paperwork and give you his social security number, then you pay him 80% (4/5) of what you would owe him and the rest is sent to the IRS as withheld taxes. There is a schedule for when you send it to the IRS but roughly it is as often as when each $2000. has been withheld.

Assuming you did file the 1099 with the IRS before or after you succeeded (?) in getting his SS no. I would say it is safe to go ahead and use the amount you paid him as a business expense to offset the entirety of what you got and what you reported in gross receipts. You may get audited, but if he failed to report the income, your getting audited increase the chances of his getting audited also.

Anyone, even an unlicensed non-contractor such as a mother hiring a babysitter, must fill out the proper paperwork including 1099's. Regrettably I don't have at the tip of my fingers the descriptions of the needed paperwork.

Last edited by AllanJ; 02-10-2008 at 02:00 PM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Basement Renovation Question KUIPORNG Remodeling 234 08-26-2008 08:19 AM
New service Question Onytay Electrical 1 10-24-2007 05:47 AM
One furnace question and one thermostat question lh0628 HVAC 4 10-11-2007 10:17 PM
General easy drywall question bigboyjoel Building & Construction 3 05-27-2007 08:52 AM

Top of Page | View New Posts


Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1