DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

You're Input Atlantic Coast

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  AtlanticWBConst. 
#1 · (Edited)
I live in So. Fl., my home is CBS (Cement block & stucco), I have a side door that I want to build a small gable roof over and a small deck. My question is, do I need to use some type of flashing where the new roof will attach to the side of the house? If so please explaint how to do this. Thank you for your assistance. I meant, Atlantic WB Construction.

#2 ·
Atlantic WB must be taking a shower:thumbup: not to have an answer already. It seems he has responses to most things before the poster is finished typing. Sorry, couldn't pass up that chance Atlantic, but your knowledgable responses have gained you a cult following it seems.

Now for the question. Yes, you will need to install flashing where the new gable roof butts into the stucco wall. A base flashing will be installed when the roof is installed, then a counter flashing will fit over the top edge of that to prevent water from entering behind it. The counter flashing is L shaped also, but one leg is only about 5/8" or so wide. This narrow leg is fitted into a groove cut into the stucco wall. After checking the fit and blowing the dust out, run a small bead of polyurethane caulking in the groove then slip the flashing in , and seal across the top with another bead.. In the "old days" the counterflashing would have been held in the groove with lead wedges, but that practice has pretty much been abandoned. This groove is best cut with a small grinder with a diamond blade.

#8 · (Edited)
Thank you for your input, however, I really don't want to have to cut a groove into the stucco on the side of my home. Is there another proven way to accomplish this?
No, there is not. It is the only proper way to facilitate a 'channel' that will be used to slide the counter flashing into and thus create a weather tight seal. If you don't do it this way, you will have problems with water and moisture damage.

It is not that difficult to do. Use a straight edge to mark your line. Make it level, unless you need to pitch it slightly for water run=off in a certain direction. Get a masonry skill saw blade, set the depth accordingly. From there, follow the instructions that Troubleseeker laid out.

When the counter flashing is all installed and properly caulked, you can apply a paint up to the flashing. You will want to re-paint the stucco area that you are working on, as it will be a mess after you do the flashing installation. If you take your time, plan it out and do the job right. It can look like it was always there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.