YIKES !!! JOIST IS CRACKED IN TWO --how Do I Fix? - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-15-2010, 03:06 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

YIKES !!! JOIST IS CRACKED IN TWO --how do I fix?

1959 house.

Got a 2 x 12 joist in my basement that has a huge knot running from top of beam to bottom. Joist was one of 5 that supported heavy concrete bathroom walls, floor, cast iron tub etc.

As a result of age, weight and stupid knot, the joist has nearly cracked through with a mere 3-4 inches of remaining connective wood.

HOW CAN I REPAIR THIS ~SAFELY~? Or should I simply replace it?

The caveat: I am about to put in a new bathroom subfloor on a deadline here. I wont be installing the ceramic floor tiling for a few weeks so I thought I could cut out the old beam and install a new one when most of the bathroom work (except for the ceramic floor tiling) is completed.... There are beams I can still reach with new subflooring now that wont require the broken one at the moment. When I install the new joist I would then screw that part of the floor down then finish off with my ceramic floor tiling. Does this plan makes logical sense?

Advertisement

Dyoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 03:22 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

leave the existing one in place and 'sister' another one to it. You will likely need to involve a jacking system, glues, clamps, nails and a few buddies.

Advertisement

jlhaslip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 03:36 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 25

Why not simply replace it?
Dyoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 03:38 PM   #4

might be nailed to the floor or have stuff connected to it and getting the nails removed to allow for the other one to sit back in the same place is a pain in the a$$, but you can try.
jlhaslip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 04:53 PM   #5
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 2,190

The more logical question is why bother removing it? If it is still level, you can sister a new one to it without any jacks. Also there is no need to use glue to connect the sistered joist to the old joist, use the appropriate nails, structural screws or through bolts at the appropriate spacing (check with your local code enforcement officer for proper spacing and size of fasteners).

In most cases horizontal shear controls the size and spacing requirements for fasteners, so you select the fastener pattern to develop the required horizontal shear for the connection. Direct shear almost never controls this type of application. If you don't care to do the math for horizontal shear, you can probably use 16p nails 6 inches on center staggered, or equivalent structural screws, or you can use bolts. The size and spacing of the bolts should be computed based on horizontal shear requirements.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 05:00 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,000

why horizontal and not vertical shear Daniel
Old 02-16-2010, 07:31 AM   #7

Follow the posts do not remove it just sister one to it and through bolt it with heavy duty nuts, bolts and washers. Make sure the new sistered joist is crowned and is tight to the bottom of the floor and level before thru bolting.
SULTINI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 08:51 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 10

You have to connect SISTER JOISTS alongside the defective joist or run a structural beam perpendicular to the bad joists.

You can also build a BEARING WALL underneath that area for support.

Advertisement

Robbie245 is offline   Reply With Quote