Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-04-2012, 08:27 PM   #1
Weekend Warrior

Rewards Points: 10

Yet another framing question...

Back story: I am finishing a basement and decided to keep the insulation they use to wrap up unfinished basements in place. With this I am placing my framing an inch and a half from the foundation wall. Even with this extra room the insulation likes to push back a little when moving the wall plumb. No problem that a quick nailing to the joist can't fix. Now comes my problem....

One of my walls has HVAC duct running along it. Because of this I cannot simply nail the top plate into the floor joist once the wall is in position. So I'm wondering if this is a possible solution. Take some plumbers tape and nail one side into the foundation wall, wrap the tape around the stud until plumb and then screw/nail the tape to the stud.

Pictures included below (I wanted to get options/opinions before committing to the whole wall.) Thank you.
Attached Images

Mesoneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 08:34 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 4,116

The wall should have been built out far enough to clear the pipe. The pipe should have been insulated before any wall went up. The top plate and wall were built all wrong unless you plan on adding another 2 X 4 where the butt joints on the top plate meet. (should have been done before the wall even went up.)

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
Mesoneer (02-04-2012)
Old 02-04-2012, 09:12 PM   #3
Weekend Warrior

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
The wall should have been built out far enough to clear the pipe. The pipe should have been insulated before any wall went up. The top plate and wall were built all wrong unless you plan on adding another 2 X 4 where the butt joints on the top plate meet. (should have been done before the wall even went up.)
Unfortunately I need all the space I can get on that wall, so I can't build the wall to clear the heater vent. I will instead be boxing them in. If this idea doesn't seem feesable, how about attaching a a couple 2x4's to the wall and nailing into them? Otherwise my only other option is taking down the duct work and building the wall to the joists then fitting the duct back again (shouldn't be too bad since I only have 2 vents connected to that trunk).
Mesoneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 09:53 PM   #4
Framing Contractor

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mesoneer

Unfortunately I need all the space I can get on that wall, so I can't build the wall to clear the heater vent. I will instead be boxing them in. If this idea doesn't seem feesable, how about attaching a a couple 2x4's to the wall and nailing into them? Otherwise my only other option is taking down the duct work and building the wall to the joists then fitting the duct back again (shouldn't be too bad since I only have 2 vents connected to that trunk).
Very easy. Make 2x4 blocks about .12"....nail them together as an L....nail that to the foundation and nail the wall stud to that...
Old 02-04-2012, 11:28 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,000

The plastic should not be there as it's only for passing inspection for an unfinished basement; http://www.buildingscience.com/docum...lation-systems

I would air seal the rim joists with rigid foam board, caulk/canned foam the perimeters against air leaks, and reinstall the f.g. insulation:http://www.buildingscience.com/docum...l_seal_rev.pdf

Also, fire-block above the duct work with material to stop the wall/ceiling fire path and the wall every 10' lineally; http://publicecodes.citation.com/ico...002_par031.htm

Page #2: How to fireblock framing

Gary