Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-18-2012, 03:44 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Wrong nails used in PT mudsill

I just discovered that I used the wrong type of nails in my mudsill to secure my wall studs. I'm building an outdoor workshop 11' x 15'. I used GripRite Coated Smooth Shank 16D. I didn't see the tiny warning label on the side of the box that reads it should not be used in treated lumber.

I guess I can get some hot dipped galv nails and toenail all the studs where I used the wrong nails.

Anyone have any other suggestions or info on this?

Thanks.

RM575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 04:01 PM   #2

Also, I need to remember to use the correct type of nails (hot dipped galv.) when securing the sheathing to the mudsill.

Old 09-18-2012, 06:38 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 34

Look on the box for the words ACQ approved. If it does not say it right on the box do not use them.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 08:29 PM   #4
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 2

Most PT lumber is ACQ treatment, which does eat up nails which are not stainless or hot dip galvanized. However, if you toenail with proper nails, you should be OK. Of course, I suppose you could pull the old nails, but why bother, they will rust away quick enough, especially in a moist environment.
Daniel Holzman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 08:51 PM   #5
Bombastic Idiot

" they will rust away quick enough" you'd be surprized at how well some of the wrong nails can last, even out in weather on decks. Some of them actually seem to get a coating of rust that protects the nail. They can rust into weird shapes that are the devil to pull and usually break. But others rust right at surface and you can flick head off with finger nail. Other nails keep length but are real thin. Weird rust things happen with screws too. So use right nails and screws, any metal in contact with PT, RM, leave the old in place unless in way.
notmrjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 10:55 PM   #6

Will do. I think it is simple enough to fix at this stage. I will toenail all the studs that are bottom nailed. I toenailed one wall that was too difficult to bottom nail and install. I can remove those and toenail HDG nails on that wall.

I bought some HDG nails at Home Depot, but they do not have any indication of ACQ approval. They are GripRite in the green label which reads Hot Dipped Galvanized Box.
Old 09-18-2012, 11:02 PM   #7

Really should have been the gold box.

http://www.grip-rite.com/fasteners.asp?Action=1
Old 09-18-2012, 11:32 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Really should have been the gold box.

http://www.grip-rite.com/fasteners.asp?Action=1
Not a problem. I can take them back and look for the gold label. Do those have the ACQ approval?
Old 09-18-2012, 11:39 PM   #9

Every fastener in the PrimeGuard Plus line carries a lifetime guarantee against rust and corrosion.

PrimeGuard Plus fasteners were tested using the most thorough methods recognized by fastener manufacturers and wood treaters worldwide. PrimeGuard Plus fasteners performed better when tested side by side against other nationally recognized brands' coatings, including double hot-dipped galvanized.
Old 09-19-2012, 11:18 AM   #10
Bombastic Idiot

" should have been the gold box." Now he tells you. RM pull those green box nails real careful, pound um straight and maybe HD will let you swap um for gold box. That reminds me, are you using box nails or common nails? Box nails are less likely to split studs when toe nailing. Don't know if you can get box nails that have been tested and approved by fastener manufacturers and wood treaters worldwide. Or even by box makers locally.

joe, you really oughta post your employer in your profile.
Old 09-19-2012, 12:13 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by notmrjohn View Post
" should have been the gold box." Now he tells you. RM pull those green box nails real careful, pound um straight and maybe HD will let you swap um for gold box. That reminds me, are you using box nails or common nails? Box nails are less likely to split studs when toe nailing. Don't know if you can get box nails that have been tested and approved by fastener manufacturers and wood treaters worldwide. Or even by box makers locally.

joe, you really oughta post your employer in your profile.

I returned the green label hdg nails to Home Depot. I didn't see any gold label there so I went to OSH and found them. I bought the gold label PrimeGuard Plus which specifies lifetime guarantee against rust when used in treated lumber.
Old 09-19-2012, 12:29 PM   #12
Bombastic Idiot

OSH, we aint got them. I looked it up, California outfit. We got a local outfit, Elliots, which has everything you could possibly need, even more of you could possibly want, and lots of stuff you don't even know what it is.

I used to buy stuff with lifetime guarantee, now that I am much older, I buy stuff with better guarantee. I'll let you get back to your toe nails now. Be easier to wear shoes instead of sandals, then you don't have to worry bout them.