Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-27-2012, 06:54 AM   #1
I ask the impossible!

Rewards Points: 0
Share |
Exclamation

Would a contractor rebuild or remodel?

Okay.. I am at a point I need to make a decision. My house was built on a crawlspace in 1917. It is a 1.5 story balloon framed bungalow, the second floor you could call a finished attic pretty much I guess in that it has partially sloped ceilings and so forth.

The overall plan to rearrange the first floor layout completely (new bathroom in a different location, new kitchen in a different location, new stairs in a different location) and tear off the second floor and build a full second floor with 3 bedrooms and a bathroom (currently 2 bedrooms and a water closet) and probably do a finished attic for a model train layout.

I was going to take on large chunks myself along the way, but I've rebalanced my family priorities some... I might take on some of the work, but I want to plan based on what approach would make the most sense if all work was being done by contractors. The big question is would the approach that makes the most sense be one where the entire house is torn down and rebuild, or where the work is done with the existing structure...

I don't think the floor joists are suitable for reuse, they're undersized and not flat or level - in many areas the condition is bad too.

I would need to consider renting storage for our furniture in the event of a complete teardown.

Please do NOT consider any "before" picture of my house as any kind of endorsement of any particular construction method. In fact, you should probably assume that if I post a "before" picture, I am posting it because I am soliciting advice on a proper replacement for one of MANY things done wrong by a previous owner.
WillK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 07:32 AM   #2
Stay-at-home GC

Think you would have to work the numbers. A detailed Estimate of what you're planning vs an Estimate of the new place.

I imagine your Mortgage Holder (if any) and Homeowner's Insurance Co. would want a say as well.

Some days, my Life needs a Rewind/Erase Button.
CplDevilDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CplDevilDog For This Useful Post:
jaydevries (05-27-2012)
Old 05-27-2012, 07:42 AM   #3
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 28

Have you got a local architect involved yet?

Most have a good idea of building costs---a tear down and all new might be very close to the cost of rebuilding the old balloon framed house---

If it's close--I would go for new---
Old 05-27-2012, 08:33 AM   #4
AHH, SPANS!!!

Rewards Points: 10

first, you want to somehow check your current footings to determine if they can hold the weight of an added upper floor and finished attic. 1917 footers may not be up to standards for 2012 additions.

Last edited by hand drive; 05-27-2012 at 08:55 AM.
hand drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 08:37 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 86

Would it be possible to live in this home termperarly while a new one was build on the same property, just a slightly differant location that's at least far enough away so an escavator can get in to tare the old one down?
That would save you living and storage cost.

No one from here can see what you have but in most cases a home that old will not have a great foundation worth saving, over time it may have saged, cracked, not enough piers, or sub standard piers.

Pro's for new constrution, it would be far more energy eff., far more air tite. Would be layed out the way you want it the day you move in.
Less disrupting to the rest of the family.
NO more out dated plumbing and wiring.
No more sagging and bouncing floors.
Done right there would be far less outside maintance.
Could be done in stages once the house is dryed in.
No more having to deal with the old lead based paint.

We have done several complete remodels on older ballon walled homes, and everytime the owner said 'I could have built a whole new house for what we just paid to do this".
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 06:42 AM   #6
I ask the impossible!

Just one thing to point out... The old didn't really have a foundation to begin with, and that project is planned to precede this regardless of whether it was rebuild or remodel. Also, regaredless, the electrical, plumbing and floor joists will be new.
Please do NOT consider any "before" picture of my house as any kind of endorsement of any particular construction method. In fact, you should probably assume that if I post a "before" picture, I am posting it because I am soliciting advice on a proper replacement for one of MANY things done wrong by a previous owner.
Old 05-28-2012, 08:38 AM   #7
DIY-er

It's a big decision, one that needs an engineer to evaluate whether the foundation can support the extra weight of a full second story. Many people choose to add a second story on top of an existing bungalow because it is cheaper to build than starting from scratch, but you need to have a good solid structure to begin with.

It sounds like you are completely remodelling your home, so starting from scratch, including building a strong foundation might not be a bad idea. However, one additional cost you may have is a development charges fee from the building department for a new home. It costs $17,000 where we live. Many contractors keep the shell of the home intact to avoid paying the development charges fee to the building department - it is a good idea to check with your local building department to see if this fee applies.

If you do decide to build a second-story addition, you will likely have to do some structural support work in the existing structure - add new or larger posts and beams, replace wood beams with metal I-beams, etc. In any event, I think you need an experienced builder or architect to draw up a plan, that preferably would have an engineer's stamp on it to guarantee the structural support.
KevinPh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 12:37 PM   #8

i might have missed it, but do you have room to put on an addition?
Old 05-28-2012, 07:06 PM   #9
I ask the impossible!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1910NE View Post
i might have missed it, but do you have room to put on an addition?
I actually hadn't mentioned it, but neither an addition nor a second home on the property would be practical. The house goes as far forward as it is allowed by the zoning ordinances and on one side it gets as close as allowed, on the other side there's a driveway. To the rear, there's an addition on a slab that is not getting altered, and there is only about 40 feet of yard to the detatched garage, which I don't intend to take up with any building.