Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-05-2011, 01:35 PM   #1

Share |

Is it worth to lose a bedroom for...

Have a 3 BR 1 bath ranch. 1100 sq ft. Is it worth to know a wall down and eliminate my smallest bedroom to make it a dining room. Right now my kitchen is 17x12. With a small table in the room. If I lost the wall. I could redo the kitchen. Add a island/breakfast bar and also a legit dinning room. But I would have a 2 BR. Not 3. Is it worth to get a dream kitchen and lose the bedroom? Or that is not a good investment? In nj here. Thanks.

fabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 01:42 PM   #2
Framing Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabian View Post
Have a 3 BR 1 bath ranch. 1100 sq ft. Is it worth to know a wall down and eliminate my smallest bedroom to make it a dining room. Right now my kitchen is 17x12. With a small table in the room. If I lost the wall. I could redo the kitchen. Add a island/breakfast bar and also a legit dinning room. But I would have a 2 BR. Not 3. Is it worth to get a dream kitchen and lose the bedroom? Or that is not a good investment? In nj here. Thanks.
To go from a 3 bedroom to a 2 bedroom is not good for resale. If you plan on staying for life it's worth it.

Old 11-05-2011, 02:43 PM   #3
Military Mom of 4

A sketch of your floor plan would be nice - doesn't have to be top-notch. . . just a sketch with some rough-measurements for good reference - there are many ways of juicing functional space when there is none, you'd be surprised.

I lived in a home once that had a bedroom which was purposed as a dining room - it didn't take much work to turn it back into a bedroom when we chose to - and for a while it was also an office.

When you sell a home - you *then* take time to make it appealing to potential buyers. When you live in a home you can do whatever you want. How much work you put into it and what you do overall really would just rely on how much work in the future you feel like doing - if any at all.
Old 11-05-2011, 03:35 PM   #4

In general, the number of bedrooms has a direct impact on market value of a home. And while there are various things you can do to spruce up a house for sale, like giving bathrooms a face lift and new appliances, it sounds like you are contemplating a change that would be difficult if not impossible to reverse.

Your best course of action is to talk to an experienced real estate agent who knows your area. They can, if they are good and analytical, give you very specific feedback on what your plan will do to the value of your house.
Ironlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 04:13 PM   #5

Thanks everyone for the great replies.
fabian is offline   Reply With Quote