Workshop Settling - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-22-2012, 01:04 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Workshop settling

Hello all, I purchased I house last year and one of my projects I would like to start this summer is to level off my wood shop. The shop Is about 14' by 24' and is located behind my detached garage. The garage is on a cinder block foundation however the wood shop from what I have noticed is only on 2 by 6 joists. The shop is basically sinking down on the backside and peeling off the garage. I will take pictures tomorrow. Regardless I took off a floorboard and the 2 by 6's have settled into the soil and are rotted. My question is what options do I have to fix this. I mean the walls and roof structure are perfectly fine. I cannot jack it up though cause the bottom is rotten. It's there a way without demolishing it to repair this and lift it back up.

Advertisement

Kurtiswm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 01:35 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

Workshop settling

Holy Chitina! You mean someone just laid 2x6's on the ground and built a shop on top? NO foundation at the edges? That is bizarre. Is there any way to attach 4 by's, with long lag bolts, across the framing and jack on them? If you can get the building up at all, including the floor, you could possibly build a shallow, frost protected foundation (with monolithic slab) and set the building back down on that, if the walls are good. You'll need an extra bottom plate of pressure treated wood, but that's pretty minor compared to what is ahead of you. Just some thoughts till the pics show up. Very interesting.

Advertisement

jklingel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 01:37 AM   #3

Workshop settling

That is assuming any blocking or anything hasn't settled even below the 2/6's
Old 04-22-2012, 12:31 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 150

Workshop settling

I hope you really want that shop, major job and $$$ to fix it right. The shop has to be jacked up high enough to clear work room enough to dig a proper footing under it. Or, to put concrete piers in and a wood beams under it. ...

A person could go to their local rental store and rent a SkyJacker forklift and probaly lift the end up. But before that is done, temporary footings from solid cap blocks etc, would have to be set up outside of the building line for temporary support beams to slide under the shop on each side of it while it is lifted. That would be a one day rental of a $500.00 plus a day+ $200 delivery cost for the lift + temporary beam cost. ... whew

Or, could go inside and cut out the floor sheathing/boards and try to dig out some support piers under it from the inside of the building. Make them wide enough to hold your jack and to get needed supports under it , all done very incrementally, slowly and with a back and forth from corner to corner, lifting a little at a time movement. jmo
Jeeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 12:44 PM   #5
AHH, SPANS!!!

Rewards Points: 1,032

Workshop settling

is there no exterior foundation for the work shop? I was going to recommend tearing out the floor boards and replacing the joists with pressure treatede but you need a foundation wall to set the joists upon...
hand drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 01:43 PM   #6
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 2,196

Workshop settling

You have a number of options. If you need a permit, and/or want to receive value for the workshop at a later date when you sell the house, you are certainly going to need a foundation, which could be concrete, concrete block, or possibly pressure treated lumber (allowable in certain locations under certain conditions). So let's talk about this option.

Jacking a shop with rotten sills (or joists in this case) is pure trouble, as has been mentioned by other posters. Personally I wouldn't even try, since you would wind up working underneath the building to dig the foundation, which implies a bombproof support system, probably not in your budget. The simplest option is to take the shop apart piece by piece, excavate and place the foundation, then reinstall the shop. This is potentially a DIY project.

If you don't need a permit and don't care about receiving value for the shop when you sell the house, you may want to consider sistering ground contact rated PT lumber against the existing framing contacting the ground. You may be able to bang the PT into place, or install in pieces. Eventually the existing lumber will rot away completely, and if the insects haven't completely eaten your shop, you may get a few years of service out of it. Not that I am recommending this, but the alternatives are a lot of work.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 05:08 PM   #7
AHH, SPANS!!!

Rewards Points: 1,032

Workshop settling

^ I was going to recommend sistering as well except for the old joists inviting insect dinner and such. maybe a partial sistering ( adding new joists without nailing to old joists) to establish a new floor system and pull out the old joists afterward...
hand drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 05:10 PM   #8
Framing Contractor

Workshop settling

Quote:
Originally Posted by hand drive View Post
^ I was going to recommend sistering as well except for the old joists inviting insect dinner and such. maybe a partial sistering ( adding new joists without nailing to old joists) to establish a new floor system and pull out the old joists afterward...
What good will that due.....they're still in the dirt.
Old 04-22-2012, 07:35 PM   #9

Workshop settling

Here is some pics
Attached Thumbnails
Workshop settling-image-2871509642.jpg   Workshop settling-image-3797886391.jpg   Workshop settling-image-1335094070.jpg   Workshop settling-image-1700582924.jpg   Workshop settling-image-577219117.jpg  

Old 04-22-2012, 07:46 PM   #10
Residential Designer

Rewards Points: 552
Send a message via Skype™ to AndyGump

Workshop settling

Yup. That's a tear down.

Andy.
Old 04-22-2012, 08:00 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 150

Workshop settling

way ...............
Jeeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 10:37 PM   #12

Workshop settling

I'd suggest seeing what a building-moving company would want to move it 20', onto a new, proper foundation right next to it. They may be able to do it w/out breaking the bank. Tearing it apart and rebuilding it ain't gonna be free either. Good luck; pity the original builder did not do even a half-butted job.

Advertisement

jklingel is offline   Reply With Quote