Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-02-2008, 03:50 PM   #1

Share |

workshop loft help needed

Newbie to the forum here. I have a project which I have been working on for a couple of years now and I sure wish I had known about this forum before!

The project is a 30 x 40 quonset hut in my back yard. It has been a long haul but the building is up and the electrical panel is hooked up as of yesterday. I am keeping the interior pretty simple. I am putting the utilities along the back wall. And above that, I am planning to have a storage loft.

So the back wall of the building is flat and about 30 feet wide. It consists of steel c-channel with colored steel panels on the outside. I have built a 7' wall along the back wall to have something to build off of. It is 2 x 4 construction, 16" OC. My plan is to have a few 4' walls projecting outward from the back wall to separate things like the toilet from the shower from the washer and dryer. I would like to run a support along the front of the walls - something like a glulam or ? so that I can keep the front of the utility area relatively open. So there is a full length 30' wall of 2 x 4 construction along the back, three or 4 4' walls projecting into the shop from the back wall.

What I would like to do is put a 30 x 6' platform over these walls. My first and easiest question is what size lumber do I need to support the floor of the loft? It will be supported 4' from the back wall and have a 2' overhang. And what spacing? I am planning on putting some fairly heavy stuff up there so it has to be strong but I dont want to overbuild it like crazy.

Second question is the support for the front of the loft. I can put support posts as close or far apart as necessary regardless of the spacing of the 4' walls. It think the decking on top and the 4' separating walls will give it good sheer strength. So, one big lam with evenly spaced supports or ? Any ideas here?

Thanks

Chrissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 04:45 PM   #2
the Musigician

workshop loft help needed

hi Chrissy, a post of a picture or two of what you have to work with would help us alot.

DM

Last edited by DangerMouse; 10-02-2008 at 04:47 PM.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote