Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-12-2011, 05:39 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Wooden treated posts in a pole barn

I've just built a medium sized wooden pole barn using 4x4 treated posts to support the ridge beam. It has been up two months and I've just recently noticed a lot of small and some large stress cracks running up and down the length of all the posts. I expected a fex cracks. But what concerns me is the high number of small cracks in all of these supporting posts. I am wondering if the beam and the roof are too heavy and the posts are actually compressing and fracturing under the weight. This is what it looks like! I am scared! I think I may need to re-inforce all these posts with additionsl posts or with kiln dried 2x4's all around them, and put them in a cement post. I'm afraid the roof is goping to come crashing down on my animals inside. Can you help?

Paintedpaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 06:13 PM   #2

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074
Rewards Points: 2,126

For your application, a 4x4 could be a little skimpy and a 6x6 would be a better choice.

Putting the post into concrete because they tend to rot where they are embedded because of the alternating wet and dry and temperature variations in some climates. Embedding has been successful when old growth wood was available, but that is getting tough to get. Without knowing the height, location/climate and building size it is hard to give a firm answer. For just a pole barn, I would not worry too much about some cracks and checking as the treated (I assume) wood dries out.

Dick

concretemasonry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 06:28 PM   #3
Framing Contractor

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintedpaca View Post
I've just built a medium sized wooden pole barn using 4x4 treated posts to support the ridge beam. It has been up two months and I've just recently noticed a lot of small and some large stress cracks running up and down the length of all the posts. I expected a fex cracks. But what concerns me is the high number of small cracks in all of these supporting posts. I am wondering if the beam and the roof are too heavy and the posts are actually compressing and fracturing under the weight. This is what it looks like! I am scared! I think I may need to re-inforce all these posts with additionsl posts or with kiln dried 2x4's all around them, and put them in a cement post. I'm afraid the roof is goping to come crashing down on my animals inside. Can you help?
Who designed this?
Old 11-12-2011, 08:07 PM   #4
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 2,136

It does not appear you posted a location, any details of the size of the building, or any photos. You also did not discuss the design of the barn (i.e. who designed it, who built it, who approved the plans?). In other words, you have provided no usable information to assess whether the 4x4 posts are adequately sized. Pressure treated lumber is notorious for cracking as it dries, especially if it was wet when purchased (this is common). The cracks may not be significant, but this will require at a minimum the information indicated above to assess.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote