Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-16-2008, 06:50 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

wooden pile for foundation

i am planning to add two rooms to my existing house. Now builder started to dig holes to the ground in order to do wooden piles. ( This is wooden floor on the piles).

When the builder dug the holes , he found out the soil is soft, not hard enough to put the pile according to the plan. Plan says piles need to be drive to the ground about 500mm. We dug more than 1000mm, still the soil is soft. I belive this area was filled with soil to prepare landscaping.

Plan says soil test need to be 300Kpsi. Still Could not do the test as the appoinment is too far away.

Now my question is Wht is the solution in this type of situation.

I belive, we have to put 200x200 sqmm(100mm thick) of concreat foot for each pile at 500mm deep, then install the piles on top of it.

Because this is soft soil, piles might be drown to the ground with the weight of the construction in the long run.

My idea is putting the concreat, can harden the ground to stand piles.

Could you pleas let me know your idea and suggestions.
I am living in wellington.
thank you verymuch.

mpj111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 07:14 PM   #2
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

Rewards Points: 1,000

I had one job where we had a company come in to drive 87 -35' piles down . most of them went down all but 3-5' before we achieved our ton-age. I always have a soil test performed before I excavate the foundation hole. because of your situation. you will have to hire a engineer to over come this problem.
Piles, helicoils, are what I have used the most with problem soil conditions.
good luck with your project, please post with your results. BOB

buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 06:14 AM   #3

An engineer came to visit my site and gave new foundation details.
He tested with his iron stick and weight. Yes, soil is soft but bot too bad.
Advised us to dig 1500 mm deep holes with 450mm diameter.
Then filled with concreet to the depth of 600mm. after that we can put the pile according to our original foundation details.
The concreet provides good hard footing to piles as well as the friction beteen 600mm deep concreet column and the soil.
Old 10-30-2008, 07:27 AM   #4
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

Rewards Points: 1,000

I'm glad to here your going in the right direction. GOOD LUCK BOB
buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 11:00 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 500

There are two ways to get good footings.

One is to dig till you get hard pan or soil that will support the weight of your building.

The second is to make a wide support to spread the weight over a large area.

Both are acceptable in the US and Canada. I assume you are in England from the metric system and your use of English terms.

I have no idea what the requirements are in England. I can bet that a solid foundation is pretty much common in most industrialized societies.

The key is to have a good footing since this will be holding up you home for centuries to come if you do it right.

As long as the material is not organic you can go wider for your footing. Organic will decay and compress at a high rate and cause the footing to sink.

I have had to do some very wide footings in the past since local code would not allow digging past the water line due to a watershed creek nearby. We put a 3 bedroom house on then and it has been standing without settling for 40 years now.
Old 10-30-2008, 04:34 PM   #6

Thanks for your idea too. I am in Wellington, New Zealand. Council is very strict about earthquake as well. there must be under ground water flowing due to rain . There were land slips happend in some suburbs , because of underground water softning the soil.
But my suburb is reasonably flat ground, no land slides.
But my existin house is standing without any zinking to ground for last 45 years I belive.

My new project is adding two rooms with 3 dgree roof( single fall), this is very light weight construction. Does not bear big weight to the ground.
I heard about cross beams sitting on the ground joining the piles can distribut the weight.
Old 04-16-2013, 05:48 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 10

Hi, Bula Iam Netani from fiji. Iam schooling Queen Victoria Schooland we had a project and I keep this topic onBuilding drawing. Can u gave me a drawing that starts from how u set your profile, excavation,budding ,Filling up to top plate and laterrafter purline and roofing.
'Thank u, for your assistance. Vinaka
netani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 06:01 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,362

either spread footings, soil cement, or steel reinforced grade beams should suffice when accompanied by professionally stamped drawings,,, you may need a soils engineer to prepare a soil analysis, too

stadry is offline   Reply With Quote