Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-12-2011, 08:00 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Wooden Garage Door Frame Caulking

Hello!

I have a brick veneer house. The garage doors probably need to be replaced, but I don't have the $$ for that right now. The door frame is painted wood, and there is no weather stripping between it and the garage door (another to-do, I think?).

What I am curious about --and what I am hoping to hear some opinions on-- is whether or not there should be caulking between the door frame and the brick veneer? If so, should there also be caulking between the lintel and the brick veneer?

Right now there is none, and I am concerned that rain water is getting behind the brick. The house was built in the mid 80s and these garage doors have never been replaced, so it has been like this for a while. There is some minor step cracking on the garaged door wall, which has me concerned.

Last year, I routed the gutter drains 10+ feet away. I relaid the pavers to slope away from the house and regraded around the rest of the building. I'm not if sure that the step cracks are getting worse or not, I am just trying to do what I can to prevent it from getting unsightly (or worse structurally unsound).

Cheers
Alondis
Attached Thumbnails
Wooden Garage Door Frame Caulking-img_1499.jpg   Wooden Garage Door Frame Caulking-img_1500.jpg   Wooden Garage Door Frame Caulking-img_1498.jpg   Wooden Garage Door Frame Caulking-img_1497.jpg  

alondis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 08:51 AM   #2
Ole Wood Worker

Rewards Points: 2,348

If it were mine I would caulk the sides of the jamb but not between the lintel and the brick, under the lintel will be good though. Water can't get behind the brick at the lintel as it is angle iron and turns up behind the brick.

Be very careful using caulk on the brick as once it is on the brick it is there unless you wash it off immediately using a bristle brush and water. It might not hurt to have water and brush handy while caulking. If you need to wash the caulk off be sure to wash it so there is no trace left, if you can see a milky look when washing, chances are you will see it when it drys also. I am just looking ahead just in case. Just another thought, if you decide to use silicone instead of a good caulk, it won't wash off.

Can you post a picture of your steps? It may be cracks from settling or it could be from the heat expanding and contracting when cool.

Jim

Last edited by BigJim; 08-12-2011 at 08:57 AM.
BigJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 09:19 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

thanks jiju1943!

the picture showing the lintel shows one of the steps... it's faint and a hard angle; however, if you look to the right of the lintel and walk your way up one brick at a time to the top left, you should see it. Here is two more pics on the wall beside the walkway.

This is the side of the house that gets the southern exposure, so I'm sure that doesn't help.
Attached Thumbnails
Wooden Garage Door Frame Caulking-img_1501.jpg   Wooden Garage Door Frame Caulking-img_1502.jpg  
alondis is offline   Reply With Quote