Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-15-2007, 11:15 AM   #1
Ron

Share |

Woodburner to Fireplace Conversion

Hey Guys, I have a woodburner stove, which I would like to replace with a wood burning fireplace. My question is: can I use the present chimney and can I center the fireplace on the wall, which would mean having a flue at an angle?? (See attached pictures). The chimney has 9X13 ceramic flue and brick exterior. Presently, the woodburner flue enters the wall 44" from the right corner, on a 65" wide wall. I would like to center the fireplace on this 65" wall instead. This would mean an angled flue (I guess?) Would the flue be large enough? Or can you install a stainless steel liner inside the ceramic??
Having trouble attaching picture. Will edit and attach later.
Attached Images

Last edited by Ron; 08-15-2007 at 11:44 AM. Reason: To attach photos
Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 09:01 PM   #2
Eibwen

I would stick with the stove! Its a lot more energy efficient than a fireplace.

Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 09:36 AM   #3
Ron

Question

Thanks for the advice Sammy, but I knew that already. What I'm trying to do is free up some space in my family room and also I think a fireplace looks much better. Not really worried too much about the efficiency as I personally don't use the woodburner that much anyway. I'm going to be selling this house in about 5 to 7 years, so I'm trying to make it a little more appealing to the masses.But thanks again. Lots of people don't realize the truth about fireplaces. Just wish some of you masons out there would chime in and give me a hint if this is doable or not. I realize there are lots of other questions you might have, so let's have 'em!
Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 10:25 AM   #4

That would be nice. I use my fireplace pretty much every night, weather permitting. Even in the fall with all the windows open.

Good luck!
Jeekinz is offline   Reply With Quote