Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-30-2014, 07:33 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Wood Truss

Is a 52 foot span for a wood truss to big?

DM007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 09:10 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 600

Wood Truss

What do you mean by to big? It's certainly a large truss and will be quite expensive to purchase and be quite heavy and difficult to erect but it certainly is not as large as I have been built. I'm sure many manufacturers have them that size in their catalogs.

Old 06-30-2014, 09:26 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 358

Wood Truss

Only way to know is to contact a truss place and ask them. Nols sidle way on home here can give you a definite answer....unless there are truss manufacturers here. Ron
ront02769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 09:36 PM   #4
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,300

Wood Truss

Quote:
Originally Posted by DM007 View Post
Is a 52 foot span for a wood truss to big?
Yes, without any kind of support in the middle of the span. Even with Steel trusses. They still support them in the middle with a span that large.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 09:56 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 536

Wood Truss

With a 2x6 top chord, 2x4 bottom chord, and a 5/12 pitch you can span 58 feet according to the span table from Locke Truss.

That work for you?
ktkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ktkelly For This Useful Post:
JT Wood (07-03-2014), MTN REMODEL LLC (07-01-2014)
Old 06-30-2014, 10:15 PM   #6
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,300

Wood Truss

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktkelly View Post
With a 2x6 top chord, 2x4 bottom chord, and a 5/12 pitch you can span 58 feet according to the span table from Locke Truss.

That work for you?
That is all fine, until you get a Snow load on it, or Wind shear. In my area, they would never allow it, without a support column in the middle of the span.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 10:35 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 548

Wood Truss

Quote:

That work for you?
That is by far the most unrelible advice to give. I sure hope he is smart enough not to take it, and use a engieneer to run the calcs to be 100% correct and yes they need support.
Nailbags is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nailbags For This Useful Post:
gregzoll (06-30-2014)
Old 06-30-2014, 10:46 PM   #8

Wood Truss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailbags View Post
That is by far the most unrelible advice to give. I sure hope he is smart enough not to take it, and use a engieneer to run the calcs to be 100% correct and yes they need support.

So a truss manufacturer isn't to be trusted?

If not the company that engineers and fabricates the trusses, then who?
The Following User Says Thank You to ktkelly For This Useful Post:
JT Wood (07-03-2014)
Old 07-01-2014, 06:48 AM   #9
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 2,086

Wood Truss

Trusses for residential use are almost always designed and manufactured by a truss company. Their design will comply with local codes, wind loads, snow loads etc. It is certainly possible to hire an engineer to custom design a truss, which is common for commercial use, where the loadings can be heavy or unusual, or the geometry may be unusual, but I have never seen a custom residential truss design.

In the case of the OPS, I would certainly trust a reputable truss manufacturer, with a licensed engineer on staff, to specify an appropriate truss for the project. They may even have crews available to do the installation.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Daniel Holzman For This Useful Post:
JT Wood (07-03-2014), MTN REMODEL LLC (07-01-2014)
Old 07-01-2014, 08:02 AM   #10

Wood Truss

Quote:
So a truss manufacturer isn't to be trusted?

If not the company that engineers and fabricates the trusses, then who?
No they can be. Just not a person posting critical information on the forum.
Old 07-01-2014, 05:03 PM   #11

Wood Truss

Quote:
No they can be. Just not a person posting critical information on the forum.

Said critical information coming DIRECTLY from the Locke Truss Co. truss span tables.....

Notice I mentioned that in my post?

It really isn't all that hard to read the entire post, and then respond, rather than just jumping the gun and posting a useless remark.

Maybe you're right, NO ONE should try to help anyone else here on this forum, since, according to you, there's no way they could actually give the correct information.
The Following User Says Thank You to ktkelly For This Useful Post:
MTN REMODEL LLC (07-01-2014)
Old 07-01-2014, 07:40 PM   #12
Remodel and New Build GC

Rewards Points: 2,002

Wood Truss

Quote:
Said critical information coming DIRECTLY from the Locke Truss Co. truss span tables.....

It really isn't all that hard to read the entire post, and then respond, rather than just jumping the gun and posting a useless remark.

Maybe you're right, NO ONE should try to help anyone else here on this forum, since, according to you, there's no way they could actually give the correct information.
KTKelly.... ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Thank you and all the others who gave correct information.... and did not shoot from the hip into their foot.

(Kind of an interesting fact/info. I've been on a job with 40's.) ( I wonder if it's even possible to buy trusses from a truss shop without a wet stamp.?)

Last edited by MTN REMODEL LLC; 07-01-2014 at 07:46 PM.
MTN REMODEL LLC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MTN REMODEL LLC For This Useful Post:
ktkelly (07-01-2014)
Old 07-01-2014, 10:57 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 1,124

Wood Truss

DMoo7,
I'm sure there is a truss plant that serves your area, probably several. Sketch out your floorplan and go visit them. They have their own engineers and some really cool software and can put together an estimate for you jiffy quick. It's really quite painless. My largest span on my place was 36" which was absolutely no problem. I've seen very large span buildings with wood trusses that sure seemed to be >52' so I suspect they will be able to do it.

Just make sure you have all your dimensions right.
jogr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 02:28 AM   #14

Wood Truss

Quote:

Well for one thing no enieneer worth their licence will give any information that you gave for legal reasons. I don't care if it was from the queen of sheeba herself. Your refrence was from a truss company yes? what year, what page, are they still in buissness? who signed off on the tables is there a engineer stamp on it. what is the snow load wind load and static load for it were are the load baring walls to go for support, what seismic zone are they for? were do you need to put the cross bracing and the strong back at? you never gave that information now did ya?do you have a link for the table? so next time please reframe from giving incomplete information. Also if he goes about building his own trusses and they fail can he come back on you and sue you, or will you hide behind the of antinomy of the internet?
Old 07-02-2014, 07:11 AM   #15

Rewards Points: 500

Wood Truss

Quote:
Well for one thing no enieneer worth their licence will give any information that you gave for legal reasons. I don't care if it was from the queen of sheeba herself. Your refrence was from a truss company yes? what year, what page, are they still in buissness? who signed off on the tables is there a engineer stamp on it. what is the snow load wind load and static load for it were are the load baring walls to go for support, what seismic zone are they for? were do you need to put the cross bracing and the strong back at? you never gave that information now did ya?do you have a link for the table? so next time please reframe from giving incomplete information. Also if he goes about building his own trusses and they fail can he come back on you and sue you, or will you hide behind the of antinomy of the internet?
Where did you learn spelling and grammar?

tony.g is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
truss, wood