Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-30-2011, 03:11 PM   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 3
Share |
Default

Wood Shelves/Mantel on Stone Veneer Wall


I'm in the process of re-modeling my basement and have everything down to the studs. We would like to use stone veneer/faux stone on the wall with the fireplace built in. The existing mantel is rather old and so the plan is to purchase a new mantel and attach it. Secondly, my girlfriend wants some shelves to the left of the mantel.

My question is related to the installation of the new mantel and shelves. After the cement backerboard is put up should I then put in the mantel and shelves, and simply veneer around them. (Current plan)

Or is it more convenient to attach the mantel and shelves after the stone veneer is put in place? If so, what is the best method to secure them?

Thank you for your consdieration

Skystrider17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 03:46 PM   #2
Tileguy
 
Bud Cline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 9,710
Default

Wood Shelves/Mantel on Stone Veneer Wall


Quote:
My question is related to the installation of the new mantel and shelves. After the cement backerboard is put up should I then put in the mantel and shelves, and simply veneer around them. (Current plan)
Yup.

Bud Cline is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 11:24 AM   #3
Stone Veneer Specialist
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Chicago Suburbs, IL
Posts: 5
Default

Wood Shelves/Mantel on Stone Veneer Wall


I would suggest you mount the mantel first and apply the stone around the mantel. Since the stone will take up about two inches of depth on the mantel, you might want to "pad out" the mantel by an inch so you don't lose depth on the mantel when the stone is installed.

The shelves should also be installed first. If the shelves aren't ready when you are ready to install the stone, add a piece of wood to vertically to the location of where the shelves will meet the stone for a nice finished look.
TheStoneExpert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 01:25 PM   #4
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 3
Default

Wood Shelves/Mantel on Stone Veneer Wall


Thanks for the help everybody, I'm going to have everything mounted on backeboard first before applying the stone
Skystrider17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 04:47 PM   #5
Member
 
Msradell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Louisville Kentucky
Posts: 1,079
Default

Wood Shelves/Mantel on Stone Veneer Wall


You can actually do it either way depending on what kind of look you want.

Doing it the way you're thinking of doing it is certainly easier to do but also has a couple of disadvantages. Obviously the stones will look more broken up this way because you'll have to piece them in on both sides of each shelf, this probably will also mean you'll have to do a lot more cutting of the stones. The advantage is that attaching the shelves a mantle will be much easier.

Attaching the shelves and mantle afterwards would make the stone wall much more like a real stone wall and would make it much easier to put up the stone. The disadvantage is it would be much harder to attach the shelves and mantle, of course it would also be easier to take them down if you ever wanted to.

If it was my project I would probably attach the mantle first and the shelves afterwards.
Msradell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 06:10 PM   #6
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 3
Default

Wood Shelves/Mantel on Stone Veneer Wall


Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStoneExpert View Post
I would suggest you mount the mantel first and apply the stone around the mantel. Since the stone will take up about two inches of depth on the mantel, you might want to "pad out" the mantel by an inch so you don't lose depth on the mantel when the stone is installed.

The shelves should also be installed first. If the shelves aren't ready when you are ready to install the stone, add a piece of wood to vertically to the location of where the shelves will meet the stone for a nice finished look.
Hi Stone Expert,

I've finished putting up the Durock and the mantel is here. Just a quick question about how to "pad out". I was thinking of simply adding a 1x2 on top of the durock, with a sufficiently long enough screw to go into the studs. Then attaching the mantel on to this. Would this be an acceptable method?

Also, I believe I should add wire mesh and then mortar for a scratch coat on top of the durock. How thick is this scratch coat typically? .5" or 1"?
Skystrider17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 06:30 PM   #7
Tileguy
 
Bud Cline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 9,710
Default

Wood Shelves/Mantel on Stone Veneer Wall


Quote:
Also, I believe I should add wire mesh and then mortar for a scratch coat on top of the durock.
Why would you want all of that additional work and expense when it isn't at all necessary?

Quote:
Attaching the shelves and mantle afterwards would make the stone wall much more like a real stone wall and would make it much easier to put up the stone.
Nonsense! I don't know of a stone professional anywhere in the world that wouldn't plan for the mantel and shelves and do what is required to have them firmly anchored to the foundation. No body would try to mount those things to the rough surface of a stone finish. How would you do that? Mantels and shelves are considered a permanent part of the fireplace, you don't normally build such a thing with changing the shelves sometime in the future in mind.
__________________
My nomination for DIY Chatroom Project of the Month is: http://www.diychatroom.com/f49/gulf-island-building-34958/
Bud Cline is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 08:41 PM   #8
Concrete & Masonry
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 2,690
Default

Wood Shelves/Mantel on Stone Veneer Wall


Quote:
Originally Posted by Skystrider17 View Post
Hi Stone Expert,

I've finished putting up the Durock and the mantel is here. Just a quick question about how to "pad out". I was thinking of simply adding a 1x2 on top of the durock, with a sufficiently long enough screw to go into the studs. Then attaching the mantel on to this. Would this be an acceptable method?

Yes, check the thickness of the actual stone first, but they should be at least 3/4" thick probably closer to 2". The joints do commonly get raked back a ways though, so you'll likely have a hard time with hiding 2X material behind the mantel.


Also, I believe I should add wire mesh and then mortar for a scratch coat on top of the durock. How thick is this scratch coat typically? .5" or 1"?
IF you decided to lath & scratchcoat, it should be closer to 1/2". You don't necessarily need to though, you should be able to make it stick with a bonding agent added to the mortar. That said, I rarely use backerboard because it doesn't grab near as well as a good rough scratchcoat does, nor does it suck the moisture out of the bedding mud as fast, so heavier stone have a tenancy to slide down the wall.

One more thing about the mantel: Make sure it has it's final coat of sealer/varnish on it before you stone around it. If not, the water in the mortar against it can easily leach into the wood & stain it.

jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
OSB Stronger than Plywood? Weathermaker01 Flooring 15 12-22-2012 09:06 AM
Stone wall problem with mortar weberus3 Building & Construction 22 01-06-2010 08:06 AM
Wall - LOAD BEARING: How to Move? user49172 Building & Construction 1 03-11-2009 04:48 PM
Stone Veneer Weight kinglerch Building & Construction 2 08-28-2008 09:39 AM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.