Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-23-2012, 09:05 AM   #1

Share |

Wood rot

I hope I am posting in correct forum. I bought a home 3 years ago. It is CBS construction. Around the windows is wood trim (on the outside of home).

Yessterday I noticed what looked like a soft spot and I probedit. Wood virtually fell apart. Inside were tiny white insects. NOT termites. Not sure what they are.

I wonder if the insects caused the rot or the insects appeared after the rot.

Anyway, I need to replace the wood. I have no idea if the wood is pressure treated or just plain old pine which has been painted. How can I tell?

Does it matter what I replace it with since I am going to paint to match the rest of the trim?

If I use pine can I pre treat it with some sort of compound to avoid rot in the future.

Wood is about 3.5 inches wide and I have never seen pressure treated this narrow.

Thanks for the help.

drjay9051 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 09:17 AM   #2

Wood rot

Going to have to post a picture of what you have.
When trim fails there's almost always a reason for it.
Wrong material used.
Not primed and painted two coats on all sides.
Lack of mainintance.
Installed wrong, ECT.
It should not be pressure treated wood if it's exposed trim. For one thing you would have to wait months for it to dry and it would not hold paint very well.
How are you so sure it's not termites. Worker termites look white.

Any chance I can I replace old wood trim with PVC. No more rot and it can be painted.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 09:22 AM   #3

Wood rot

Sounds like termites - they come in several different sizes, but the ones you expose when you dig into infested wood tend to be white. Here is a picture:

imautoparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 10:11 AM   #4

Wood rot

Quote:
Originally Posted by imautoparts View Post
Sounds like termites - they come in several different sizes, but the ones you expose when you dig into infested wood tend to be white. Here is a picture:

Could be. I was thinking big with wings. These are quite small maybe 1/8 inch . Of course now the issue is how to treat?

Tent the home or spot treat. I'll have to collect some of these and bring to University of Florida (down the road) for proper I.D.
drjay9051 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 10:37 AM   #5

Wood rot

Only time there going to have wings is when the queen is producing swamers. Most often only in the spring.
You need to be calling a real exterminator not some home grown spot spraying.
If there already up into the window frame you have a big issue and are going to need a full treatment. How depends on what type termite you have.
Spot treatments only work in that one spot there just going to move over and come in some place else.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote