Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-04-2011, 02:17 PM   #1

Share |

Wood Privacy fence questions...

I am looking to build my very first fence. going wood privacy with pre-made 8 foot panels 6 feet high. Talked to the experts at the hardware store and ordered up the supplies... but have a few questions still...

I am going to get some friends to help. How many people is to many? I was thinking of trying to get a crew of 6-8 people to make it go faster, but don't want people stumbling over eachother, or just standing around wasting their time.

The wood panels I got have a rough surface to them, its pressure treated pine, but not smooth to the touch, very rough. Can I water seal that, or will it look terrible due to the extremely rough surface? I was thinking of using the sealer with the cedar color tint...

Oh, approx size of the fence is 315 ft.

jjohnston7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 02:22 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjohnston7 View Post
I am looking to build my very first fence. going wood privacy with pre-made 8 foot panels 6 feet high. Talked to the experts at the hardware store and ordered up the supplies... but have a few questions still...

I am going to get some friends to help. How many people is to many? I was thinking of trying to get a crew of 6-8 people to make it go faster, but don't want people stumbling over eachother, or just standing around wasting their time.

The wood panels I got have a rough surface to them, its pressure treated pine, but not smooth to the touch, very rough. Can I water seal that, or will it look terrible due to the extremely rough surface? I was thinking of using the sealer with the cedar color tint...

Oh, approx size of the fence is 315 ft.
How are you digging the holes?
What are you filling the holes with?
Is the area level ?
If the fence has a high moisture content, you'll be staining late Fall or Spring.

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 02:26 PM   #3

Thanks for the response!

Digging the holes with an power auger style post hole digger

Filling with cement/dirt...

there are is 1 fairly decent hill, but its only 1 corner and not very long maybe 1 section of fence.

If I let it weather until spring, would I need to pressure wash it before sealing at that time?
Old 08-04-2011, 04:18 PM   #4

Quote:
Thanks for the response!

Digging the holes with an power auger style post hole digger

Filling with cement/dirt...

there are is 1 fairly decent hill, but its only 1 corner and not very long maybe 1 section of fence.

If I let it weather until spring, would I need to pressure wash it before sealing at that time?
You realize, that after the posts are in, they need to set at least 24 hr's before you hang the panels?
Have you ever installed a fence before? On a slope?
On a flat surface, drilling the holes at the exact distance is much easier then on a slope.
You might need to clean the fence before staining, unless the panels have been in the fence place for months, drying out. Then you can stain them right after installation.
Old 08-04-2011, 04:26 PM   #5

Nope, i've never done a fence before. But you can't say you have until you do your first. I have some friends coming over who have done them before, so I'm sure they will be a great help, but I wanted some info ahead of time, and incite from others.

My first thought was 2 weekends. Posts one, and panels the next, probably a smaller crew for the panels (I assume the posts are the hardest part) but maybe I am assuming wrong...
Old 08-04-2011, 05:26 PM   #6

Quote:
Nope, i've never done a fence before. But you can't say you have until you do your first. I have some friends coming over who have done them before, so I'm sure they will be a great help, but I wanted some info ahead of time, and incite from others.

My first thought was 2 weekends. Posts one, and panels the next, probably a smaller crew for the panels (I assume the posts are the hardest part) but maybe I am assuming wrong...
You have to decide on the posts orientation. Will they all be vertical and the fence panels stepping up the slope or will they be 90 degrees to the land and the panels follow the slope of the land.
If they're stepped, there will be space under the panels if the panels stay a rectangle. In order for the fence to stay close to the ground, you would have to either cut it or adjust it into a rhombic shape.
Old 08-04-2011, 05:55 PM   #7

set the post in the AM do the sections in the PM might consider Sakrete Quick Set one bag per hole and the post lenghts 10' (4 ' down... 6' above) nice long level.that Quick Set cures in 30/40 minutes mixes right in the hole...tar the ends of the poles ...finish off the post ground level with angled dirt crowns so water runs away from the post
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 09:19 PM   #8

I would not use premade panels unless the ground for the entire run of the fence is dead flat. Flat verified not just eye balled. And be prepared to ensure the posts are set exactly in regard to spacing. And what if you hit a rock or something keeps you fr properly placing a post.

Stick building is better than using panels IMHO.

Metal posts with brackets to attach the stringers. Fence boards nailed or screwed to the stringers. Posts set with a bad of mix in the hole quick set post concrete.

The panels may look easier. But they are difficult to get just right due to being very unforgiving.

This IMHO and from having done fences both ways.

The Following User Says Thank You to vsheetz For This Useful Post:
kwikfishron (08-06-2011)