Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-21-2011, 04:37 PM   #1

Share |

Wood panel to concrete block wall

Guys,

My story is this. I have a partially finished basement. It is 1000 square feet.

None of the outer walls have any sort of covering on them. The outer walls are concrete block painted with dryloc.

I have a lot of extra wood paneling that I think would look really good on these outside walls.

I have been told by one person that I need to install furring strips using tapcons and do it that way. I've seen other people say that's a path to frustration.

I was told by my contractor and a Lowe's rep that he could just install the paneling to the walls with Liquid Nails. Another guy said this would cause the wood to warp because of moisture. This sounds easiest and would be my preference.

We have had water in the basement before. We installed a interior drainage system and its been completely dry since. Our walls exhibit no moisture at all.

I have read about installing some type of installing some type of insulating thermal wallboards. Don't know how that would be done.

Since I have all of this paneling, I would like to use it if possible. Just wondering the easiest, cheapest, best way to get it onto the wall.

sgold33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 04:41 PM   #2
Framing Contractor

I would not glue it directly to the block. It would be hard to install it that way anyway. The tapcons and furring would be easy and fairly inexpensive. A box of tapcons and a bit is less than $20. Furring strips about the same. Leave a gap at the bottom as a path for moisture to drop to.

sixeightten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 08:05 PM   #3

Need to insulate a concrete wall!!

Comments?
Old 07-21-2011, 08:52 PM   #4
jschaben

easiest, cheapest, best...... contradictory terms.

"Where all think alike, no one is thinking very much"
jschaben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 10:37 PM   #5

Insulate with rigid XPS and then apply the paneling. You can glue both or do furring...
sgold33 (07-22-2011)
Old 07-22-2011, 12:13 AM   #6

Do you think that glueing the panel right to the concrete wall and not using the xps would be a bad idea?
Old 07-22-2011, 12:14 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschaben View Post
easiest, cheapest, best...... contradictory terms.
If you don't have anything useful to add, don't reply. Thanks for the snarky comment.

Last edited by sgold33; 07-22-2011 at 12:16 AM. Reason: Didn't quote
Old 07-22-2011, 09:30 AM   #8

I would be using liquid nails and Tytek tape to cover the joints. Does anybody see a problem with this?
Old 07-22-2011, 10:17 AM   #9
jschaben

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgold33 View Post
If you don't have anything useful to add, don't reply. Thanks for the snarky comment.

I'll clarify -
quick, easy = glue it to the wall

best = drop 6 mil plastic vapor barrier from sill plate, install top plate, floor plate and studs, install insulation and electric.

I suspect you want something in between and haven't defined your requirements very well.

The Following User Says Thank You to jschaben For This Useful Post:
sgold33 (07-22-2011)
Old 07-22-2011, 10:46 AM   #10

I'm just trying to cover these ugly concrete block walls and exploring options. I'm trying to do this economically, but don't want the wood paneling to warp. If I can't put the wood paneling up economically and easily, then I won't do it.

To be honest, all of that sill plate and framing stuff you mentioned would to be too expensive but thank you for telling me what you think the best way would be.

From all the reading I've been doing, I don't think installing wood paneling directly to the wall, even drylocked and very dry basement walls like mine, would be a good idea without insulation because the moisture in the walls could easily warp the wood paneling.

My plan, if I do anything at this point, would be to liquid nail Owen Corning 1 inch to the walls to stop moisture and warping, then glue the paneling to that. It seems like an adequate, economical, easier way of doing this.

I'm a little worried about the glue holding up. I'm also worried the liquid nail won't adhere to the dryloc covering.

Anybody have any other comments or suggestions?

Last edited by sgold33; 07-22-2011 at 10:50 AM.
Old 07-22-2011, 10:54 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschaben View Post
I'll clarify -
best = drop 6 mil plastic vapor barrier from sill plate, install top plate, floor plate and studs, install insulation and electric.
I would stay away from the poly. Read the paragraph on the right of page 5: http://www.buildingscience.com/docum...lation-systems

Basement walls need a way to dry...

I would not recommend glueing the panels to the wall. If you want to glue stuff, glue insulation first then panels. make sure to use a glue suitable for the insulation as some will react negatively with the insulation board.

If you don't want to put any insulation, I would highly suggest the furring channels. you need to keep the paneling away from direct contact with the concrete. The furring strips are about $1 a piece and can be spaced every 16-24". Put a strip of plastic behind each furring strip as a bond breaker from the concrete. Don't put full plastic on the wall though.
Old 07-22-2011, 12:17 PM   #12
jschaben

AGW has about the best solution for a quick and dirty job. He's also absolutely right about the poly. Dropping poly it still needs a clearance to allow for airflow to carry any moisture away.
BTW, you keep saying it is very dry. Have you done a moisture test? Tape a foot square of aluminum foil to the wall and the floor, making sure to seal the edges very well. Remove after 24 hours and see if there is any condensation on it. If not, it is dry. If so, it isn't.
I would not put insulation directly against there either. Just furring strips attached with tapcons. The glue can only be as strong as the
drylock bond. Hang the panelling on the furring strips and leave 1/2" or so gap top and bottom to allow airflow behind the panelling. Any moisture trapped back there is a condo for mold and mildew.
Good Luck

Old 07-23-2011, 03:04 PM   #13

JS, did do your moisture test. No condensation at all and I tried to put it where I thought it would be wettest. Thanks for the suggestion.

I am considering not doing the idea of doing all of the glueing mostly because of a discussion I had with my contractor.

He said he could use a concrete nail gun to concrete nail pressure treated 1X4's into the concrete block walls and then attach the paneling using finished nails. He will provide all of the nails. All I have to buy is the lumber which he said he would need 30 pieces at Home Depot for $1-2 a piece. He also said it would look a lot better because he could hide the plumbing and electrical boxes.

So, instead of me having to buy two boxes of liquid nails at about $110, I could just buy 30 bucks worth of lumber. I also might be able to use some lumber I have. He wants an extra $200 to do it with the framing, but with the materials cost difference, it's a wash pretty much.

Questions:

1. Does anybody see any problems with this generally?

2. Are 1X4's the right kind of lumber?

3. I didn't see any kind of big price difference between pressure treated lumber and furring strips. Also, with the furring strips there would be extra labor involved since they are not pressure treated. Is there any compelling reason to use furring strips over pressure treated lumber?

4. What kind of nails should he use?

5. I would not be planning to insulate the walls. AG said this would not be a problem. Still the case?

Thanks guys.

Last edited by sgold33; 07-23-2011 at 03:07 PM.
Old 07-23-2011, 03:42 PM   #14
jschaben

Quote:

Questions:

1. Does anybody see any problems with this generally?
Not really. Accomplishes your immediate need, apparently with in the budget you have to work with.

Quote:
2. Are 1X4's the right kind of lumber?

3. I didn't see any kind of big price difference between pressure treated lumber and furring strips. Also, with the furring strips there would be extra labor involved since they are not pressure treated. Is there any compelling reason to use furring strips over pressure treated lumber?
1x4's should work fine. No evidence of moisture with the moisture test so I see no need for pressure treated. I don't quite understand a labor differential for using furring strips

Quote:
4. What kind of nails should he use?
No recommendation. I'm not familiar with powered concrete nailers. I'm thinking 1-1/4 to 1-1/2" long. Furring strip is 3/4 and the block webbing is about the same I believe.
Quote:
5. I would not be planning to insulate the walls. AG said this would not be a problem. Still the case?
No problem here. I'd just nail, not glue the panelling so if you want to upgrade the area later you can fairly easily pull the panelling off and do what needs to be done then reinstall the panelling.
Quote:

Thanks guys.

The Following User Says Thank You to jschaben For This Useful Post:
sgold33 (07-24-2011)
Old 07-23-2011, 08:32 PM   #15

1. Where are you located?

2. What type and thickness of paneling? eg- wood, Luan, 1/8"

3. Describe the "interior drainage system".

4. Is the heating/cooling unit in the basement?

Gary

Tags
basement, concrete block wall, liquid nails, wood paneling