Wood Never Painted First When Building Exterior Structures? - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-30-2011, 10:00 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 504

Wood never painted first when building exterior structures?

I've noticed in all the fences, decks, and other exterior structures I've seen built (including those done for me) I've never seen the wood primed and painted before the structure was completed.
I assume it would be too time consuming, maybe more than triple the time of the job, to do this. Is this the reason its never done?

Advertisement

darsunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 09:08 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by darsunt View Post
I've noticed in all the fences, decks, and other exterior structures I've seen built (including those done for me) I've never seen the wood primed and painted before the structure was completed.
I assume it would be too time consuming, maybe more than triple the time of the job, to do this. Is this the reason its never done?
The structures with pressure treated wood are generally too wet to apply finishes. They need to dry out 6 months or so, depending on how wet they are.
The non pressure treated wood structures, using a fence as an example, are generally installed by fence companies who do not include painting/staining in the job. The fence would be painted by someone else hired for the job or the homeowner.

Advertisement

Last edited by Ron6519; 07-31-2011 at 09:26 AM.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 10:24 PM   #3

Obviously when you paint a completed wood fence or deck the wood faces that are pressed against each other do not get painted. I've noticed on old fences and decks, wood rot and insect infestation usually begin in those areas, because moisture gets trapped in there, and insects thrive in the unpainted crevices.
Old 08-01-2011, 09:34 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by darsunt View Post
Obviously when you paint a completed wood fence or deck the wood faces that are pressed against each other do not get painted. I've noticed on old fences and decks, wood rot and insect infestation usually begin in those areas, because moisture gets trapped in there, and insects thrive in the unpainted crevices.
Yes, that is true.
What's the point?
Old 08-01-2011, 11:34 AM   #5

Then it would be best to fit, prime, and paint all the wood pieces of an exterior structure before assembly?
I'm not saying it would necessarily be practical. When I do repairs on fences and deck railings, I do cut to fit, prime and paint every piece, but I notice it seems to make the job 3 times as long than if I just slapped the pieces together right away. But it would be ideal to do it that way?
Old 08-01-2011, 01:48 PM   #6

For fences using non treated wood, yes, not so much for decks using pressure treated wood.

Advertisement