Wood I-Joists - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-17-2008, 12:35 PM   #1
Git

Rewards Points: 75

Wood I-Joists

Hello

My house is five years old and is built using wood I-Joists, similar to the picture below. (They are actually a Boise Cascade BCI 450 joists and I believe the flange is 1.5" wide)

I wanted to hang some shelves and a storage device called a Racorpro Heavylift (see pic) from the ceiling in my garage.

The frame for the heavylift is approx 48" x 48" and is desinged to be bolted to ceiling joists that are 16" on center. My I-Joists appear to be 19.2" on center, so I planned on running two 60" long, 2x4's across three of the joists and then centering the frame on the 2x4.

How would I properly fasten the 2x4 to the bottom of these I-Joists? The ceiling is drywalled with 5/8" and I planned on cutting out little squares at the attachment points so I could properly locate the joist. They would later be covered by the 2x4.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Wood I-Joists-i-joist-1.jpg   Wood I-Joists-racor.jpg  

Advertisement

Git is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 10:55 AM   #2
Git

Wood I-Joists

Anyone?

Advertisement

Git is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 05:42 PM   #3
CT Builder

Rewards Points: 25

Wood I-Joists

Once you get the locations of the Joists, Fasten the 2x4's using 3" drywall screws in a predrilled holes. Apply some liquid nails prior to fastening for an extra hold.

-Daryl
Daryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 06:23 PM   #4

Wood I-Joists

Spanning three joists is just fine.
raam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 08:57 PM   #5

Wood I-Joists

From what I've seen, most manufacturers won't let you cut or modify the flange at all. You might be better off furring out the web with blocking and securing your 2x4 framing to that.
ncgrogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 09:29 PM   #6
remodeling pro

Rewards Points: 500

Wood I-Joists

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncgrogan View Post
From what I've seen, most manufacturers won't let you cut or modify the flange at all. You might be better off furring out the web with blocking and securing your 2x4 framing to that.
I think he is referring to cutting out little squares of the drywall, not any of the joist. Even rather than that, why not use a nail to locate both edges of the flange, then just measure? The line of nail holes will be covered by the 2 x 4.

Better than drywall screws, use some cabinet hanging screws with the large washer heads.
troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 09:35 AM   #7
CT Builder

Rewards Points: 25

Wood I-Joists

Quote:
Originally Posted by troubleseeker View Post
Better than drywall screws, use some cabinet hanging screws with the large washer heads.
to cabinet screws

-Daryl
Daryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 12:58 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 150

Wood I-Joists

I would'nt cut the rock that's your firebreak, especially to mount the 2x4 directly to the joist. If god forbid there was a fire you are creating a wick for the fire to spread up to the joist. I would screw the 2x4 right to the rock rather than compromise your fire rating. That type of storage device is pulling down on the mounting area, Not compressing the sheetrock.

Advertisement

James Con is offline   Reply With Quote