Wood Deck Question - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-17-2013, 11:26 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 2,690

wood deck question

just how well can a deck be built, so that it drains water away from the house ?

Advertisement

Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 12:11 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 626

wood deck question

Really should be counting on gutters to direct the water not a deck.
One way would be to use composite T & G 2-1/4" decking that runs away from the house.

Advertisement

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 12:15 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,032

wood deck question

are you talking about a deck over ground, or a deck over living space (over the house)?

having a sloping grade away from the foundation is the best way of directing water away from the house.

you can install an under deck drainage system which has panels and gutters to collect the runoff from the deck and then direct it away through the gutters. If the deck is over living space you can install a low slope roofing system with the deck board installed over it.

many ways of doing this

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"
GBrackins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 12:50 PM   #4
journeyman carpenter

Rewards Points: 154

wood deck question

your other option is duradek.. the framing is sloped away from the house then sheathed with plywood instead of decking.. from there Duradek comes in and they put down their product which is water tight
woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to woodworkbykirk For This Useful Post:
GBrackins (03-17-2013)
Old 03-17-2013, 07:59 PM   #5

wood deck question

my back yard grades slightly to the house, i can not fix this. i want to put a wood deck off the back. i would put fill under the deck to grade that back towards the yard, perhaps that would be enough. and/or i could also put plastic down. deck about 2-3' tall.

i would not be using any fancy materials = costs.

i'm not putting in french drain. don't they freeze up in the winter ? yes, i have winter heavy rain issues.

i'm not doing this soon. i was just thinking about it.
Old 03-17-2013, 09:07 PM   #6

wood deck question

I have used stone dust (residue from washing stone used for septic systems) under the deck graded away from the foundation, and have used polyethylene vapor barrier when that could not be accomplished. water running towards the foundation is always a fun issue. stone dust makes an impermeable barrier and is usually inexpensive (here at least).

with that said french drains can be an effective way of transferring water away from your foundation. french drains do not freeze if they are installed below your frost level. typically footings for foundations should be below the frost level, hence french drains at the footing depth should be fine. a sump pump can direct the water either to daylight across the yard or to a subsurface drainage system.

running roof leaders away from the dwelling is another effective method. we typically run solid piping under the ground to direct the water away and after about 10-feet would use perforated piping (holes turned down) and installed in a drainage pit (gravel filled trench) with filter fabric along the bottom and sides and lapped over the top. Typical trench is 2-feet x 2-feet with the pipe set on top of the trench. trench length is based upon percolation rate of the soil the trench is in and the amount of runoff the roof leader is to handle. Drainage calculations are an educated best guess.

anything you can do to direct the water away is always a good thing. sometimes it is trial and error to find the final solution.

hope this helps, good luck!

Old 03-17-2013, 09:56 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,002

wood deck question

Fixin,
french drains work in the winter without having to be buried below the frost line. I have several that are only 12" deep. It freezes and rains here in Ohio too, just a day and a half after you get it. You want the french drains around your deck so they intercept the water before it gets to the house. Also, you aren't going to get any more rain with the deck than the way it is now without it.
Mike Hawkins
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 10:26 PM   #8

wood deck question

ok. i figured a regular deck wouldn't do much for drainage. and i really don't want to dig 100+' of trench for a FD. what i am thinking = i could backfill from the house out about 10' or so. this would form a shallow ditch, 2" or so deep. i could then pitch it towards my driveway, that drains to the street just fine.
my flooding problem is only during heavy and/or extended rains , or the ground is frozen(happened last week).
Old 03-17-2013, 11:03 PM   #9

wood deck question

sounds like a plan ..... most building codes require a 6-inch drop at 10-feet from the foundation, should help your situation

Old 03-17-2013, 11:59 PM   #10

wood deck question

6". that sounds like kind of a lot, but idk.

anyway. my plan so far, that is far from sorted out. is = whatever is code for just outside a sliding door. then about 4' wide and, idk, 10-11' wide next to the house. then it will step down, 1 or 2 steps, to the main deck area. . this will give me a somewhat lower deck, and more dispersed steps. this is plan A, by the time it gets built, i may be to plan G. you know how that goes.

Advertisement