Wood Deck 4x4 Footing Spacing ? - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-20-2010, 11:01 PM   #1
Expert Jimmy Hacker

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Wood Deck 4x4 Footing spacing ?

Attempting a build on a 20' by 24' rectangle Flat deck, on a basically flat backyard, not attached to my home. I'm burying 4x4 posts in Concrete as I did with my large fence. I will attach 2 x 6 or 2 x 8 deck joists to these posts. → I can't seem to find a norm for spacing each of the 4x4's in the ground. Is there a rule of thumb.?? I must have missed it~ ?

Advertisement

JimmyWacked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 11:06 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Where are you located ?

Advertisement

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 11:11 PM   #3
Expert Jimmy Hacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba_Dave View Post
Where are you located ?
Copy, thxs !
INDIANA.~

Last edited by JimmyWacked; 04-21-2010 at 10:14 PM.
Old 04-20-2010, 11:17 PM   #4
Pro

Rewards Points: 25

You won't be attaching joists to posts, you will be attaching joists to beams

Your posts will go on footings (preferrably sono tubes)

The size of the beams, live load/dead load of the deck will get you closer to the answer.

First thing first, you need drawings and depending on where you live most likely you will need a permit.
Nostco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 12:49 AM   #5
Expert Jimmy Hacker

Yes. Thxs. Got that--- but again- what is the required spacing between cement/wood 4x4 footings?
Old 02-20-2012, 03:05 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyWacked View Post
Attempting a build on a 20' by 24' rectangle Flat deck, on a basically flat backyard, not attached to my home. I'm burying 4x4 posts in Concrete as I did with my large fence. I will attach 2 x 6 or 2 x 8 deck joists to these posts. → I can't seem to find a norm for spacing each of the 4x4's in the ground. Is there a rule of thumb.?? I must have missed it~ ?
The spacing depends on the load up top. For example, if it's just a walking area and nothing else, 8' is the furthest you go apart. If deck table and chairs where many people will be sitting, then 5-6' apart. The more the better though, 6' is where I would go
ukisgr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 04:07 PM   #7
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 2,194

Normally a deck is designed and constructed according to some type of code, even if you don't need or plan to pull a permit. I recommend the Prescriptive Residential Wood Deck Construction Guide, which is based on the International Residential Code. You can find this document at no charge on the internet, or your building inspector may have an extra one (mine did).

The Code has details regarding spacing of posts, minimum size of posts, connection details between posts, beams and joists, maximum length of joists and beams, and lots of other details which are quite useful (example how to attach a ledger board to the house).

Possibly you don't like codes, or you want to "go your own way". That is certainly an option. In that case, the required spacing of the posts will be based on the deck loading, the span of the beams, and the geometry of the deck. If you don't want to use the "standard" sizing that the Code gives you, your option is to compute the required size for each element based on some assumed loading you determine based on knowledge of the used of your deck. This is a lot of work, and frankly pretty useless, since it has all been worked out in the Code, but if you insist, that is how to decide on the spacing. Oh, and by the way, 6x6 is the minimum allowable post size per the Code.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 10:53 PM   #8
journeyman carpenter

Rewards Points: 160

from what i gather this deck is just sitting on grade, the only reason your using the posts is to keep the deck from shifting around in the yard am i correct.

if in fact it is sitting on the ground and fully supported, it doesnt require beams. you should just need posts at the corners along with every 8 ft..

if it were actually up off the ground the distance between posts would depend on local codes, what size joists and beams your using
woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 10:03 AM   #9
Expert Jimmy Hacker

ITS ALL DONE GUYS.. My post was from almost 2 years ago- !!

I went just about 5 ft between all 4x4 posts ~

DONE

It's all good.!

Advertisement