Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-22-2009, 12:22 PM   #1

Share |

Wood to Concrete Block

I have a concrete block house in FL. I'm replacing some windows and had to removed the plaster around the window returns - it's just bare concrete block now.

Is it ok to attach wood directly to the concrete block and paint it, using it as the finished surface of the return. This is all above ground and indoors.

I noticed that some of the other windows seem to have been done this way without is seeming to be a problem.

It wood make life a lot easier if I could just attach a wood frame around the inside of the window opening, inside the room, to finish the return off.

bmancanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 12:25 PM   #2

Wood to Concrete Block

Any wood in contact with concrete must be PT wood

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 12:43 PM   #3

Wood to Concrete Block

In this application, you would be fine. I suggest putting a piece of builder's paper or even plastic behind the wood, in case the block transmits water from the exterior.
Be safe, Gary
Gary in WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 01:34 PM   #4

Wood to Concrete Block

Thanks for the input.

I was thinking of putting some sort of "paint on" moisture block on the concrete block (to prevent moisture intrusion), then prime the wood, then glue wood to block.

I know code calls for PT but in this application PT won't work - too instable for finish work.

Another thought is to use mastic to apply strips of cement board to cover the returns, and then spackle over that.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated
Old 09-22-2009, 01:47 PM   #5
General Contractor

Wood to Concrete Block

It does not need to be treated if you provide a barrier between the wood and the concrete. Roofing felt is an acceptable barrier.
ARI001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 02:17 PM   #6

Wood to Concrete Block

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARI001 View Post
It does not need to be treated if you provide a barrier between the wood and the concrete. Roofing felt is an acceptable barrier.
Thanks that's very helpful

The appeal of attaching the wood with adhesive though is that the concrete surface is very uneven. The adhesive will allow me to even out the imperfections of the concrete blocks.
Old 09-22-2009, 02:51 PM   #7

Wood to Concrete Block

Correct me if I'm wrong... the code requires p.t./concrete only on:

1.sill plate to concrete (structural)

2. beam pocket in concrete if no 1/2" air space (structural)

3. posts on concrete piers closer than 8" to soil. (structural)

I would protect the wood from moisture coming from exterior, with the method you stated is fine. And with a thermal break. I don't know of a code requiring p.t. to concrete block above grade that high up. Maybe someone else could state the code # please? Back priming is also a good idea, especially for trim wood with a lower moisture content than framing lumber.
Be safe, Gary
Gary in WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 03:45 PM   #8

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074

Wood to Concrete Block

The "old wives tale" of P.T. must be used when the wood in contact with concrete is easily misunderstood.

It really applies to wood that is attached to the concrete that is in contact with the soil. A separate pour or concretemasonry unit does no need P.T. unless it is exposed to the elements. - There might be some unique situations.

Dick

concretemasonry is online now   Reply With Quote