Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-05-2012, 07:47 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Wood Ceiling

Hello,
Brand new here, ran across this site web searching! Just the place I've been looking for!
I am building a small 1150 sq. ft. home, that I prefer to call our Cabin. I am installing 6" pine tongue and groove prefinished, on entire Cabin except Bathroom. I would like to use Cedar tongue and groove in this room. Above shower, I plan on tileing. I did use a vapor barrier above the pine. My thoughts for the Cedar in bath would be to use House wrap above it so that moisture could escape thru the ceiling, possibly help keep the cedar dry. I did install a good exhaust fan and its located next to shower enterance, The ceiling is 9 ft. My question is, do you think house wrap would be a good choice?
Thanks for any and all replys!
Red Cedar

Last edited by Red Cedar; 08-05-2012 at 09:21 PM.
Red Cedar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 07:48 PM   #2

Wood Ceiling

I see there have been no replys, Should I post this in another section?
Thanks,

Old 08-06-2012, 07:58 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 3,106

Wood Ceiling

I personaly would never have used the house wrap on the ceiling. You do not want the moisture getting into the attic.
With T & G there should be nothing needed on top of it, I'd be afraid mositure would get traped between it and the wood.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 08:12 PM   #4
"So I Re-Wired It"

Rewards Points: 250

Wood Ceiling

you are in the correct section.

your explanation is a bit confusing. are you trying to use house-wrap Inside the bathroom??
Wood and bathrooms normally dont mix, however cedar is a nice durable wood.
naturally you'll want to keep moisture from forming behind the wood. im not sure what to use for this....
maybe a mold resistant foam insulation.

Obviously the exposed wood must be sealed, and sealed well.

"For a high-moisture environment such as the bathroom, the Western Red Cedar Lumber Association recommends using an exterior-grade finish that is designed to have a good resistance to water. Choose an exterior finish that is also rated for indoor use to prevent exposure to strong off-gassing or fumes in the enclosed space of the bathroom."

This is not my specialty, but if you address situations such as:
-moisture behind walls
-seal exposed wood against moisture/decay
-good ventilation

i think you'll be OK.
Also, IMO i dont think house-wrap is appropriate for indoor use. I hope this info was somewhat helpful
Old 08-06-2012, 09:11 PM   #5

Wood Ceiling

Thanks for the input. Here where I live, in Nebraska, code now says to use vapor barrier on walls and ceiling. The place where I purchased the pine tongue and groove said also to use a vapor barrier before installing the pine ceiling. I have not installed the ceiling in bathroom yet. I just thought if I used house wrap so the print side was facing up it would let some air pass thru it, keeping the back side of the cedar dry.? Its just a thought, may not be a good thought, I dont know. As far as finish, I was planning on using the same One Time Wood product, it is mold resistant. And applying it to both sides. I am going to use the same stuff on my vertical Cedar siding that will be put on the exterior, I milled last year. It is non toxic and hardly has any kind of smell to it.
Thanks