Wood-burning Stove...connecting Stovepipe To Ceiling Support Box - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-17-2011, 09:40 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Wood-burning stove...connecting stovepipe to ceiling support box

Does anyone know the proper way to intall the stovepipe. I think it was installed wrong. I have 6" black doublewall telescoping pipe. The bottom pipe fits over the lip on the stove & the top pipe fits over the bottom pipe...& telescopes up to the ceiling support box. The corrugated end of this top pipe is at the top & fits over the adapter that sticks out of the ceiling support box. The end of the pipe does not go IN - in the small space between the adapter & the ceiling support box. It doesn't even meet it. Thank you.
Laura
Attached Thumbnails
Wood-burning stove...connecting stovepipe to ceiling support box-chimney-006-shrunk.jpg  

Advertisement

Laura J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 09:43 PM   #2
Disabled wood vet

Rewards Points: 1,000

You either need a different adapter or is it possible to lower the pipe that's in "the box"?

Sent from a Samsung Galaxy S2

Advertisement

titanoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 09:57 PM   #3

No, can't lower the adapter...it's a short thing. That wouldn't change the fit anyhoo. The handyman says I need a narrower stovepipe to be able to fit it inside the ceiling support box but if it's a tad narrower it won't fit over the bottom pipe.
Laura
Old 12-18-2011, 12:04 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 256

Your handyman lacks knowledge about wood stove pipeing. Smpoke pipe come in even sizes, 6", 7" and larger in even inch increments. Get someone else. Preferably someon licensed, insured and bonded.

1. Start by contacting your insurance carrier and local building inspector office.
2. Then http://www.selkirkcorp.com/installat...t.aspx?id=7930

3. Go to Sure Temp and view in flash http://www.selkirkcorp.com/flashGuid...f/sentinel.swf

4. follow instructions.
http://www.selkirkcorp.com/flashGuid...f/sentinel.swf

5. choose the ceiling style and pipe arrangement. Follow instructions

6. Take pictures, file with instructions and insurance papers and building inspector report.

Or hire the handyman who does not know how bad chimney installs can burn down a house, and you. Riding the tailboard for 20+ years gives me the right to have a bad attitude about crap stove installs.

Last edited by fireguy; 12-18-2011 at 12:07 AM.
fireguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 02:07 AM   #5

It was installed by professionals but leaked smoke into the house. The professionals said it's supposed to ! They are the only "professionals" in this town. That's where the handyman comes in...to fix the botch job that all the professional in this town do. So I want to know how it should be installed... from a source outside this town of professional idiot rip-off artists. I've had to learn how everything is built & watch over everyone. Even my wood shed collapsed. When it comes to "6 inch" telescoping pipe, one of the pipes is slightly larger than the other because one goes into the other. Thanks for the links but I can't open them on my computer. Looked all over the net but there is no mention of this particular detail in any instructions. Laura
Old 12-18-2011, 03:10 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 256

In your state, are contractors licensed. Ask to see proof of license (if required), liability insurance, and a performance bond. If none of the above, don't hire them. Did you pay the hacks who did that unsafe job?

OK, got to Selkirkcorp.com. Then click on the " view in flash". that should take you to a page listing installation of the Selkirk chimney products. Chimney installs are not rocket science, especially if you read the instructions. if you still cannot get the site, I can fax the page you need. I cannot e-mail it, I am not computer savvy. Or you could go to a lumber yard or hardware store that sell Selkirk products. and ask for an installtion sheet.

I know how you feel, I neded to replace my smoke pipe. I was busy with my business and so I hired a friend who has a sheet metal shop. He was busy so he sent a couple of guys who had never installed smoke pipe before. If my girlfriend had not been home, I do not think they could have done the job. She had to tell them how to install the pipe. they wanted to put the large end into the ceiling box, they had no idea how to install the damper, and were completly baffled when she told them to screw the seam and pipe joints together.

The knowledge and skills of the trades is poor and will continue to deteriate as long as our schools tell the kids they have to get a college education or they will be bums the rest of their lives.
fireguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 05:00 AM   #7

The hacks are licensed owners of the store I bought the stove at & paid for installation. Probably overcharged at that.
I can't open that site. Could be the "flash" or that I'm on dial-up. I can't get a fax either but thanks. I don't know the brand of my pipe to ask the lumberyard for the instructions. See some install instuctions say crimped end up, some say down. Some show the smaller pipe on the bottom, some the other way. I just want to know if they really did install it wrong(without paying someone else)...if the end of the pipe goes into the ceiling support box or just up against it. Then it's off to small claims court. I've had it with this town.
Laura
Old 12-18-2011, 10:29 AM   #8
Experienced

Rewards Points: 2,000

Could you possibly take a picture showing more of the installation, that would helpful in us helping you.

In general though any flue pipe should fit inside going with the direction of flue gas flow. So that being said, top of stove first connect to stove outside of connection collar, the other end of that pipe should be inside the next pipe connection.

Mark
Old 12-18-2011, 10:44 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 3,546

I am not expert but I would guess that the wrong adapter is being used.
There is no way that smoke should leak into the house. That is not normal and just proves the installers don't have a clue what they were doing. Also indicates they probably don't know the correct parts to be using.

Why is a double wall pipe being used? Is there an air intake on the roof?
Post some info on the actual stove. Do you have any info on the make, model etc of the adapter piece?

EDIT to add more thoughts

Since this is a double wall pipe there should be no smoke in the outer pipe, thus no smoke infiltration. How is the inner pipe routed? Is it continuous all the way to the outside?

Last edited by joed; 12-18-2011 at 10:48 AM.
joed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 04:42 PM   #10

6T-DS-CPA-6" Chimney Adapter
First red flag was when they told me that smoke always leaks in.
There are benefits to double wall.
It's a Kuma Tamarack.
After 15 hrs on the net found my stovepipe is ICC (Industrial Chimney Company) adjustable pipe. Infortunately they're install instructions do not even say if the inner pipe goes on the bottom or top much less if the pipe at top is supposed to tuck UNDER the ceiling support box. The adapter isn't the issue because IF the pipe is supposed to tuck under the ceiling support the pipe is just a tad too wide fo the ceiling support box (the thing on the ceiling that looks like a top hat). Leads me to think the pipe is installed upside down...that the "inner" pipe of the adjustable pipe (think telescoping) should be on TOP. Some directions say that's the way it should be... And that although it seems wrong (seems that the smoke will seep out the seam on the way up) it won't... but any creosote will drop into the wider bottom pipe rather than on the stove.
My 1st pic of the top is where it was leaking & consequently where creosote built up inside. That crimped end you see at the top fits over the adapter (tube-like protrusion) & there is a small space between the adapter & the inside wall of the ceiling support box. The handy man says the pipe should be up in that small space between the adapter & ceiling support & not just sitting there 1/8" from the ceiling support frame on the ceiling. Makes perfect sense to me. What DOESN'T is his suggestion to get a new narrower pipe to fit into the ceiling support box. They are standard in that the teenie bit smaller pipe I need could only exist in the form of the inner pipe of a telescoping pipe. See what I mean? That leaves me w/ 2 options... flip the stovepipe so that the narrower half is at top or look for a small tapered part that fits over the edge of the top pipe & has a slight taper that would fit in the hole in the ceiling instead of rest just under it. Hope you can follow this. :-)
The "inner pipe" you ask about isn't like you are imagining if I got your question right. The double wall pipe inself is an extra think pipe. It has 2 parts so that it can telescope- an "inner" and outer pipe that overlap a few inches in the middle. This is so you don't have to tip the stove to install the pipe. At the ceiling the adapter is a small piece of pipe that protrudes & at the top of the stove is a protrusion so w/o a telescoping pipe it would be quite difficult to install a pipe. That small part pic is the adapter -it's inside the black thing on the ceiling (ceiling support box) & sticks out about 3/4". The professionals are also trying to tell me that the chimney sweep ruined their installation but a freaking child could put it back together - line up the screw holes & put the screws back - not rocket science to put it back to original configuration.
Attached Thumbnails
Wood-burning stove...connecting stovepipe to ceiling support box-chimney-010-shrunk.jpg   Wood-burning stove...connecting stovepipe to ceiling support box-chimney-013-shrunk.jpg  
Attached Images

Old 12-18-2011, 06:34 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 3,546

The installation guide can be found on this page.

http://www.build.com/mediabase/speci...stallguide.pdf

In step 3 they mention a finishing band. I don't think I see that on your install.
I also found this note
Quote:
This CPA adapter provides proper connection to Selkirk model dripless stove pipe.
Are you using the Selkirk pipe or some other brand?

Last edited by joed; 12-18-2011 at 06:38 PM.
joed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 08:21 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 500

Stovepipe definitely isn't supposed to leak smoke, but they will all smoke the first few times you fire them. The paint burns off "stuff."

But here's a problem -- your pipe is upside down. The crimped end goes down.
pyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 09:42 PM   #13

According to the above instructions (page 2 top right) the crimped end of the wider (outer) pipe of the telescopic pipe goes up & the crimped end of the narrower (inner) pipe goes INTO the stove. But on the top of page 4 ...Installation Guide #1 The female end of the telescopic pipe is “over the appliance outlet collar”... that's how mine is. In step 3 they say to extend the telescopic length up - w/o making it clear if it’s the inner or outer pipe actually. In fig A the “telescopic length” is the bottom pipe & in fig B it’s the top pipe so there is no indication which half is the inner/outer.
With respect to the rule that you shouldn't mix brands the adapter appears to be Metalbest by Selkirk & the pipe is by Industrial Chimney Company & I don't know what brand the chimney pipe in the ceiling & attic is. :-/. An inspector would have to know all the brands by sight or I'd have to start from scratch...which, around here, will probably result in a roof leak when they run a different chimney pipe.
Old 12-18-2011, 09:49 PM   #14

joed thanks, looked at the install guide. Looks like maybe it was done right...SEEMS the top of the pipe isn't supposed to be inside the ceiling support box. I seem to have the Selkirk Assembly in fig 1A as far as the adapter is concerned.
on my receipt is:
6T-DS-CPA-6" chimney adapter
ICUC6UBAF Black Adjust 40-68"( it's an Ultrablack double-wall by ICC)
The ceiling support & everything above it was already in place when I bought the house so I don't know what brand everything else is. :-/
I took the strap off to see what was going on up there.
I was whacked out by gas-like fumes for some time (I'm very sensitive to EVERYTHING & thought it was just me- that it was the build-up of plastic stuff in here that made me ill now that the windows were closed). Since Sept I decided I'd rather only sleep several hours at a time and keep adding wood than wake up to a cold house. About a week ago that got old & I did the ol' morning start-up. I saw smoke & shut it down.
Then I had the chimney & pipe cleaned - it was so clogged there was about an inch space for air from that top connection to the roof. Obviously the air leak up at the top caused such a fast build-up. It was cleaned before start-up in Sept ! Last winter all my wood was damp to wet (can't get dry wood in winter here if your stash got wet somehow- enter broken shed built by a "professional") & the chimney was nowhere near as clogged as it was a few days ago. So I don't get it at all. Sigh. I can see it now. I call an out of town installer & he says I have to replace everything- chimney and all.
Old 12-19-2011, 09:14 AM   #15

Rewards Points: 500

The large round part on the ceiling support is called a "bucket".

The 6T-DS-CPA-6" should screw into the chimney and the crimped end should drop down through the bucket. If you take out the screws at the top and in the middle of your telescopic pipe, then you should see the crimped end of the 6T-DS-CPA-6".

Based on my reading of the ICC website, the larger part of the telescopic pipe goes up. It looks like that's how it is in the photo. It says that the pipe goes over the adapter. Assuming your 6T part drops down through the bucket, then the Ultrablack part should be over it, and you wouldn't see the 6T part. In other words, If your 6t-ds-cpa is coming down through the bucket, then I think everything is the way it's supposed to be.

It should be a tight fit. The ultrablack comes with a trim ring to cover the crimp at the top. It sounds like it's a decorative part, since they call it a trim ring. You could probably get one from the manufacturer.

This stuff says you can use it for sealing stovepipe: http://www.efireplacestore.com/fsd-7...hannelid=FROOG

In your first photo it looks like someone had put something like that around the top previously. Generally speaking, stovepipe doesn't need sealant -- the draft of the system keeps smoke from coming into the room from any little cracks. You might have a blocked chimney. Especially since you mention wet wood. Wet wood will dry pretty quickly though, so long as it's not green. Just put it on your porch in the sun and wind or something for a few days and it will dry.

If you can see the chimney in your attic you want to see that the chimney does not touch anything that can burn, and if you have loose insulation, you want to see a sheetmetal box with a storm collar surrounding the chimney to keep insulation away from it.

Advertisement

pyper is offline   Reply With Quote