Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-28-2011, 10:13 AM   #1

Share |

Wood beam dryrot and iron beam rust

It appears that our firts floor shower floor has been leaking for years. The shower is located on the outside wall of the house and, when in our basement, we can see about 3/4 of dryrotted wooden beam resting perpendicularly on a rusted i-beam. We are obviously worried that tis will soon cave in. The wooden beam can be sistered if that is your recommendation. If not, what would you suggest? Also, how dowe handle the i-beam issue without having to rebuild the house? Can you estimate what the costs would be from a reputable handyman or builder?

Waivy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 10:35 AM   #2
Civil Engineer

You need to post an accurate sketch of the problem, and some photos. Otherwise it is impossible to understand the scope of the problem. Until the scope of the problem is completely clear, it is premature to discuss costs, means and methods, or options.

Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 10:36 AM   #3

It would be nice to see some pictures to evaluate your situation. In order to get a proper quote for your situation you would have to call a contractor to evaluate on what needs to be done. If the wood beam is to far gone then it would probably need to be replaced but that would be discussed with your contractor’s recommendations. As per the steel beam, have no worries as the beam would only have surface rust which is nothing to worry about and would out last any wood beam dry rot.

Get at least three quotes on repairing your problem and make sure everyone is quoting on the same thing and indicates what will be done in writing that way you will get no surprises or extras.
epson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 07:38 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Holzman View Post
You need to post an accurate sketch of the problem, and some photos. Otherwise it is impossible to understand the scope of the problem. Until the scope of the problem is completely clear, it is premature to discuss costs, means and methods, or options.
Daniel, thank you for your reply. I am just learning how to use this site, so please bear with me as I attempt to make proper contact.
Attached Thumbnails
Wood beam dryrot and iron beam rust-picture-007.jpg   Wood beam dryrot and iron beam rust-picture-008.jpg   Wood beam dryrot and iron beam rust-picture-009.jpg   Wood beam dryrot and iron beam rust-picture-010.jpg   Wood beam dryrot and iron beam rust-picture-011.jpg  

Old 03-03-2011, 07:49 AM   #5

Looks like you have a big job ahead of you there. You will have to replace the floor and drain either sister the joist if it possible at this time if not then remove it and replace with new. As per the beam well, clean up the rust prime and if needed you can weld two stiffener plates in that area. A general contractor would be able to asses the scope of work required and the time frame on which the work would be completed.
epson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to epson For This Useful Post:
Waivy (03-04-2011)
Old 03-04-2011, 08:39 AM   #6

Thanks again. You've given me enough knowledge and confidence to be able to talk with a contractor. I have an appointment today to start the repair process.
Old 03-04-2011, 08:45 AM   #7

fix the leak first if not already done