Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-08-2012, 09:36 PM   #1

Share |

Wondering How Feasible Bathroom Laundry Would Be?

My laundry room is the basement. There's not really a room. The washer and dryer just sit in the corner. The bedrooms are up 3 small flights of stairs. Ugh.

Today I was looking at the upstairs bath and had an idea. I haven't measured everything to see what will fit. I don't want to put a lot of effort into it if it isn't economically feasible.

This is a rough draft of the bath. It's not to scale, but the idea I had was that maybe I could wall up the door to the bedroom, and put a stackable washer/dryer in there. But then I started thinking about the weight. Then I thought that the bathtub probably gets heavy. Then I thought that a bathtub full of water plus the washer / dryer could equal disaster.

What do you think? If I need an engineer to look, where do I find one? What are the odds that it will be sturdy enough? I'm not in a position to put a lot of money into a serious structural change right now, so if it's not probable that I could do it, I'll just wait until I've recovered from the cash depletion the home purchase brought me.

angelatc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 09:55 PM   #2

angelatc,

I think you should find someone to speak to locally.

Good luck with your project!

Last edited by oodssoo; 09-08-2012 at 10:04 PM.
oodssoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 09:58 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by oodssoo View Post
angelatc,

Why not just leave the laundry set in the basement, so you wouldn't have to alter plumbing to relocate as you proposed in your post?

You don't need an engineer to look at it - in most cases. That would just be a waste of money and time.

My suggestion for you is to evaluate the real reason why you would like to relocate your laundry set. If it is because of the 3 flights of stairs you'd rather not walk up and down, then question yourself if 3k to 4k is worth spending to save you from having to climb stairs each time you have to do laundry.
My suggestion to you would be to answer the question that I asked.

The plumbing is the least of my worries. There's water and a drain 3 feet away. The existing electrical is immediately underneath. My reasons for wanting it are not your concern. And since you don't know anything about my floor plan, let's assume I know more about it than you do.

And editing your post doesn't take it out of the quote.

Last edited by angelatc; 09-08-2012 at 10:13 PM. Reason: responding the the ever-changing suggestions above. I wasn't quick enough to capture the last one.
Old 09-08-2012, 10:06 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
My suggestion to you would be to answer the question that I asked.

The plumbing is the least of my worries. There's water and a drain 3 feet away. The existing electrical is immediately underneath. My reasons for wanting it are not your concern. And since you don't know anything about my floor plan, let's assume I know more about it than you do.
angelatc,

I think you should find someone to speak to locally.

Good luck with your project!
oodssoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 10:25 PM   #5

Depending on the type of stacking units you look at you can need up to 3' depth, then a door on front of that so about 40.5". Or 37" if you go with a cabinet door front.
How tight is that going to be to the front of the toilet?

Now this does depend on the type of unit purchased.

I am in the very early stages of considering a stacking unit in our main floor linen closet that I could make 3' deep.
mae-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 10:27 PM   #6

it is quite feasible to do what you are wanting to do. how good it would be for your floor would depend on the direction of the floor joists and where the supporting walls are underneath. an engineer would definitely make it a safer project. the washer shouldn't be a problem but the dryer needs to be vented to the outside. do you have a 220 volt line available close by? if not a new line would have to be run from the main electrical panel. the washer would also need a 2 inch drain and a vent (the bathtub is only 1-1/2).

Last edited by DannyT; 09-08-2012 at 10:29 PM.
DannyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 10:27 PM   #7

I always suggest not putting washer and dryers in the basement. Always try and put them close to the bedrooms.
Makes no since as you said going up and down all those stairs with an arm load laundry.
Also a basement is almost always moist and may shorten the life of appliances.
Does there happen to be a sub panel on the second or third floor.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 10:52 PM   #8

OK, now I'm excited. The door is probably a goner anyway, because I have never been a fan of dual entry bathrooms, and I could really use the wall space in the bedroom. I am not living in the house yet, so I can't just walk over and look, but I am thinking the tub might sit square on a wall. That would be good news for me, wouldn't it?

How do I tell which way the joists are running? If it involves pulling up the subfloor and looking, now would be a good time. The subfloor is all I have right now. Or can I tell by the nail heads?

I do need to measure to see if it will fit, but I'm not sure I would have thought about checking the swing of the door. :D

Eh, my electrical terminology is a little sketchy. I think there's only one electrical panel in the basement. If there is a second, it was probably added when the air conditioner was put in. Couldn't I just run the existing electrical up to the new location?
Old 09-08-2012, 11:03 PM   #9

Just that one wire will cost several hundred dollars depending on the length.
You would have to figure out a way to run it up that may floors.
The floors got to be cut out to run the water and drain line.
Got to be able to vent the dryer out the wall.
There's a whole lot to it but if you plan on staying in that house and it makes it easyer for you it's worth it.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 11:18 PM   #10

Get an experienced renovation carpenter/General contractor to look at it.

May need to reinforce the floor, the wireing, venting, plumbing. Could cost a lot or be very reasonable, so much depends.
Old 09-08-2012, 11:41 PM   #11

Is your basement finished? If not, you can look up and determine how the joists are installed when compared to rooms above.

If you are concerned about weight loading, take 2 measurements from the basement and someone here will be able to give you a rough guidance:

1. measure the width (it should be something like 2x8, 2x10, 2x12, etc.)

2. pick a joist below the bathroom (you should be able to see a p-trap) and measure the distance from the exterior wall to the center beam

Based on your drawing, I am going to guess this framing layout:

Since this is a tight space, you also need to take into consideration how the washing machine and dryer doors will effect your working space/flow.

Do you have a set budget in mind? Are you comfortable with running new electric wires and doing plumbing? If you can competently do these tasks, you can save a bundle.

Last edited by allthumbsdiy; 09-08-2012 at 11:47 PM. Reason: added pix
allthumbsdiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 11:49 PM   #12

There is no way to guess framing layout based on the plumbing.
Would love it to be that way but totally may not be.
Old 09-08-2012, 11:52 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Just that one wire will cost several hundred dollars depending on the length.
You would have to figure out a way to run it up that may floors.
The floors got to be cut out to run the water and drain line.
Got to be able to vent the dryer out the wall.
There's a whole lot to it but if you plan on staying in that house and it makes it easyer for you it's worth it.
The wire is probably the biggest obstacle, although I'm also thinking I'd like to run a gas line up there so I could have a gas dryer.

It's not as daunting as it sounds. The house is a tri-level with a basement. So, on the left side of the house is the kitchen / LR over a basement, while the right side has the bedrooms and this bath over a family room that is partially below grade. The way it lines up, I think that going up through the living room wall will bring me to the bathroom. There's a closet there - seems a decent place to practice my mad drywall skillz. The furnace is right there, so there's a gas line to tap off of.

I'll have to post pictures, but I think the water is more accessible than you'd expect. The supply lines are in the wall. I am pretty sure I could tap into them without taking up the floor, but the nearest drain pipe is indeed under the tub. Taking the floor out isn't a big deal at this juncture, though. It would just mean pulling up the subfloor.

Well, the wall got wet and the drywall is rotted, so part of it's got to come out regardless, While I'm under there, I'll have a better idea of what's physically possible.

The wire would indeed be very long. I'll have to look at the specific "whats over top of what" tomorrow when I'm back over there. And I'll post pics.
Old 09-08-2012, 11:54 PM   #14

I took a guess based on how the bottom door was opening to a hallway (very similar bathroom layout for my bi-level eons ago that was attached to my master bedroom)

just a guess to give OP an idea what we are looking for.
allthumbsdiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 12:02 AM   #15

As mentioned before the tub will probably have a 1.5" line and the washer will need a 2" line for the drain.
Water should be in the stub wall by the tub.
Electrical wire is easy to fish, may need to cut a couple of holes in the drywall in other rooms that you can patch.

Biggest obstacle may be if the floor can support the weight in this area.