Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-18-2008, 09:58 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Cool

wobbly wrought iron railing

The wrought iron railing on my concrete front stoop is very wobbly. I need some advice on whats best (and easy) to fix it. Have tried just tightening the nuts but they are as tight as I can get them but it still wobbles. My elderly mother, who lives with me, needs hold on to it to pull herself up the 2 steps to the top of the porch and I'm afraid it will give way with her.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Last edited by sleeples65; 05-20-2008 at 02:38 PM.
sleeples65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 09:59 PM   #2

The wrought iron railing on my concrete front stoop is very wobbly. I need some advice on whats best (and easy) to fix it. Have tried just tightening the nuts but they are as tight as I can get them but it still wobbles. My elderly mother, who lives with me, needs hold on to it to pull herself up the 2 steps to the top of the porch and I'm afraid it will give way with her.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Old 05-19-2008, 05:30 AM   #3
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

Rewards Points: 1,000

Can you post a picture of the rail and where it is wobbling. it would help a great deal.
buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 02:45 PM   #4

Cool

Here is a couple of pics. The one shows how it is bolted into concrete. that is pretty solid. The other shows the railing this is the wobbly part. I don't know if this help any. Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
wobbly wrought iron railing-dc7c54f850a0.jpg   wobbly wrought iron railing-f2b7488bd76e.jpg  
Old 05-20-2008, 02:56 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 500

Hi, I am about to install some stair railings as well, but my steps are made of bricks. Which is the best way to secure them to the bricks? They will not be bolted to the house itself, just to the steps.

Thanks,
helpless handyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 06:31 PM   #6
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

Rewards Points: 1,000

Sleepless65
Find out if there is solid framing behind the railing post. if so drill a 5/16" hole through the rail post only. about 2-3" from the top. take an awl and make a mark by pushing it through the post into the siding. make sure the post is plumb. then push the railing out of the way and drill a 1/2" hole into the siding. and drill a 3/16" hole through the house wall in to the stud.
then install a 1/4" galvanized lag screw through the post and into the house. tighten up the screw until its just touches the siding. and caulk around the screw. you will be fine.
if there is no solid block ,cut and insert an aluminum sleeve through the siding and out to the back of the post. Make sure the hole in the siding is 1/4" bigger then the sleeve. take a 1/4" toggle bolt and slide the screw into the post and through the sleeve and install the toggle. then insert the assembly through the sheathing. and tighten it up.

buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote